Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

85 AMC Eagle 4WD problems

ladybridgeport
07-29-2006, 11:07 PM
I had my 85 Eagle on 4 jack stands having the car 2 feet off the ground, when I switched my 2WD mode into 4WD the front tires did not spin. When I applied the gas, the rear tires were spinning, but the fronts did not. I have plenty of transmission fluid in the car. What is wrong with my 4WD?

chevyolds
07-30-2006, 09:04 PM
check and see if the vac line is attached at the actuater near the transfer case. also check the switch in the dash to see if it is good.

ladybridgeport
08-08-2006, 01:17 AM
I will have to check the vac lin to see if it has a leak or if it is attached. The switch makes a hydraulic sound when switching. It kind of sounds like air is being released when it is turned off. It used to make air pressure sound build up when turning on, but it really doesn't make that sound anymore when turning on. It can only be heard when switching off. I will have to check that line and post more later.

wagonbldr
05-17-2007, 08:34 PM
I had an "84 Eagle wagon and the vacuum line for the front axle shift motor was bad. This is located on the passenger side of the front axle, facing the rear. You will also have a vacuum shift motor on the front of the transfer case. It doesn't take much of a vacuum leak for these things to not move. The sound you hear when moving the selector switch is vacuum. These shift motors can stick if not worked at least once a month. Found out the hard way. ( Don't know why they are called shift motors, more like a vacuum operated cylinder with 2 vacuum lines to each. One to engage, and the other to disengage.)

Eagle88
08-03-2007, 10:59 PM
For all your eagle problems That aren't answerd here, plese see the forums at
http://forums.amceaglenest.com/index.php

Route 66 Rambler
10-29-2007, 09:46 PM
No other resource like The Eagle Nest for these particular cars... :icon16:
mike

Add your comment to this topic!