Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

power window failure

maxx_94_G20t
08-15-2002, 01:54 PM
I went out to my car earlier today and saw that somehow the driver's side window was down two inches--I'm always careful about putting them up, so I turned my key to put it up and pressed the switch--and nothing happened. I started the car and tried again--no dice. I flipped the switch down and it went down, then went up sorta begrudgingly. I thought I would "test it further" (MISTAKE) and I put it all the way down. Of course then it wouldn't budge. When I pushed the switch up I could hear some clicking in the door but there was no movement. I pulled the top of the door panel off and was able to physically coax the window up part-way (without depressing the switch). So I pulled it up all the way and sealed it shut with duct tape.

I immediately thought I'd need a new motor... I went online and the first part I found was a "power window regulator" (for $62.10 @ infinitiparts.net). After reading some other p/w posts I wonder if this is the part I need rather than the motor itself? This wasn't a case of the motor dying a slow death--it just seemed to fail. But by manipulating it by hand have I stripped something? As for getting a motor, I'm tempted to check junkyards in my area for one to get a working one for cheap.

Any advice/recommendations greatly appreciated. Thx.

Evan

WinterG20
08-15-2002, 03:17 PM
don't forget about ebay to find a replacement motor! I thought I saw one on there today actually!~!

maxx_94_G20t
08-19-2002, 12:56 PM
OK, so my dad and I took the door apart yesterday. It seems like the motor is OK... it sounds fine and turns its spool as it should BUT the cable that controls the window is loose inside the door. Upon closer inspection, it looks like the spool that winds the cable is broken slightly (the notched part to which the end of the cable mounts). I'm not sure how to proceed. I guess I have to get the whole motor unit to replace this spool? I'm pretty apprehensive about actually trying to put a new one in--does the window track have to be detached to get the motor out? Which hole do you take it out of? I'm thinking maybe I should find a used motor and take it to a shop (NOT the dealer) and have them put it in. But maybe we can manage it ourselves... it's just so hard to work in that space.

Again, any advice appreciated.

AND if anyone has accurate info about other Nissans I can seek out for replacements part(s). Another posting mentioned the '91-93 (?) Altima--will that work for my '94 G20?

Thx.

Evan

maxx_94_G20t
08-19-2002, 01:10 PM
Oh... and does anyone have access to the FSM pages that describe/show how to replace the window motor? My fax # is (585) 295-4824. Or maybe scan and post to the board? Since I'm a newbie, I'm not sure if that's a viable option or what.

Thx.

lee756
08-19-2002, 03:34 PM
Common problem with g20 is window motors--i usually buy them from a junk yard expect to pay 20-40 bucks--this job done right requires a couple of special tools---your idea of getting parts and taking to local shop is good as long as you have a trustworthy shop

porboy
04-04-2003, 10:08 AM
FYI, the power window motors are the same front to rear. That is the motor in the LH rear door will replace the motor in the LH front door.

azmojoman
04-05-2003, 08:23 AM
this sounds like it could have been a failed window amplifier (the assembly in a white plastic box inside the drivers door with 8 connector wires) rather than the motor itself. To test the motor, undo the 2 wire connector to it and hook up one wire with 12 volts (I ran a wire from the battery pos. terminal) and connect another to ground. when you touch these wires to the connector pins to the motor, it shd move (if not, stop and try switching the wires to the opposite pins). If it is dead, you probably need a motor, if it moves, there's a good chance you need a new amplifier ($63 at Scottsdale Infiniti). i just went thru all this sh*t.

THENEONOUTLET
04-21-2003, 08:36 AM
i was wondering what that white box was!!!
thanks

maxx_94_G20t
04-21-2003, 12:09 PM
azmojo, I was trying to discern if we're speaking of the same part. I checked at Infiniti Scottsdale's site and came up with nada when I searched for a window amplifier. The "electrical" part of my window motor seems to work (with switch). It whirs and whatever, but the spindle on which the cable winds is broken (it turns, but doesn't wind the cable). It's off-white plastic, and it's broken where the cable fastens. This part is the amplifier? You lost me when you said you put the amplifier back in its box (your other thread), since that makes me think the amplifier is square.

Thanks.

maxx_94_G20t
04-21-2003, 12:11 PM
Follow-up... I've browsed online for parts a bit. All I turn up initially is "regulator" or "motor." The "amplifier" is yet another component of the power window mechanism?

azmojoman
04-21-2003, 04:20 PM
the "amplifier" is a circuit board with a couple of relays on it that sits inside a white plastic box inside the driver's side door panel about half way up in the center. It has 8 wires going into it. Scottsdale has it but you won't find it in the online catalog. I'm not sure what your problem is but it sounds like a part associated with the motor, perhaps not the motor itself. Call Sciottsdale and describe the problem maybe they can get you a part to fix it.

good luck

THENEONOUTLET
04-21-2003, 08:17 PM
im pretty sure its your regulator thats bad
if its whirling like you said..the motor is good
also...the switch is good
the regulator is the part that has the wire wound up in it,
the motor is the bronze thing that is attached to it
if its whirling BOTH ways..the switch and motor are good

Add your comment to this topic!