Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Oil change

02Olds
07-19-2006, 09:46 PM
Has anyone tried to change their own oil on the 06 Sedona.I heard it is a PITA and the filter can only be had from the dealer.
I have 1500 on the break in oil and would like to start putting synthetic in.

02Olds
10-01-2006, 08:37 PM
I just changed the oil on my 06 yesterday and it was very simple on this van.I bought a filter at the dealer for 12.00 and I replaced the break in oil with Castrol Syntec 5w-20.
I may go 5000 miles before my next change,although I know I can go longer on the synthetic oil.

nikkistarr
10-01-2006, 08:52 PM
I'm not saying you're wrong, but beware of the oil manufacturers reccomendations versus your vehicle reccomendations. Five thousand miles is a lot of mileage even on synthetic oil. Me personally, would never wait that long between oil changes ever, even if my oil manufacturer says that I can. I wish you the best of luck, and if you can get 5K+ miles out of your oil, more power to you.

titantn24
10-02-2006, 03:43 PM
5K miles between oil changes isn't that big of a deal! Why is everyone so obsessed with the 3K mile oil change? Times and oil have changed. Oil and engines are more advanced. Why would a vehicle manufacturer suggest changing your oil at 7500 miles if it would harm your engine? An engine that they warranty for 100K miles at that! Change the oil whenever the manual suggests you do it. Everyone has been brainwashed by these oil change places and swear that anything over 3K is too much. It's not, get over it. They want you to get your oil changed as often as possible so that you will fill their pockets with your cash. If you want to waste your money changing your oil all the time, that's fine by me. But it's not necessary.

nikkistarr
10-02-2006, 10:20 PM
5K miles between oil changes isn't that big of a deal! Why is everyone so obsessed with the 3K mile oil change? Times and oil have changed. Oil and engines are more advanced. Why would a vehicle manufacturer suggest changing your oil at 7500 miles if it would harm your engine? An engine that they warranty for 100K miles at that! Change the oil whenever the manual suggests you do it. Everyone has been brainwashed by these oil change places and swear that anything over 3K is too much. It's not, get over it. They want you to get your oil changed as often as possible so that you will fill their pockets with your cash. If you want to waste your money changing your oil all the time, that's fine by me. But it's not necessary.
If you notice, I did reccomend he go by the vehicle reccomendations. I'm pretty old fashioned... I use regular oil. Synthetic is a bunch of B.S. (In my opinion.) And I've NEVER taken my vehicle to an oil changing business. All of mine are done right at home in my drive way... by ME.

Add your comment to this topic!