Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Vega ideas I've had

silicon212
07-13-2006, 06:53 PM
I've owned three of these over a 4-year period. As in the previous thread, a 1975 notchback was my first car in 1986. I've often had the idea, and still have the idea, of getting a good 1975-77 model and swapping in a Chevy 229 (3.8l) V6. These cars don't need that much engine to make them fast, and a small block mod would take too much work to perform properly (subframes, rails, upgrade suspensions, rear end etc). A 229 could be made to fit in there reasonably cheaply while providing a nice kick in the pants for the car.

Anyone here have ideas of what to do with a Vega? I think the car would certainly turn heads these days as you don't see many of them around.

MrPbody
07-14-2006, 01:38 PM
They're very popular with the Buick 231 (3.8). Lots of the H-bodies came with them, so mounts, exhaust, etc. are pretty easy to come by.

229 (3.8 Chevy) is okay. 4.3 (262) is far superior. It will fit where ever a 229 will. Many more "goodies" out there that fit (a lot of 350 parts fit 4.3). Virtually ALL the modifications that make 350 "run" will also make 4.3 "run". As with any V-6, harmonics are always an issue. If you keep the power band under 6,000 RPM, no worries. 4.3 should be easier to find and maybe less expensive. 229s were a "short" production run.

Consider pumping up the Vega engine, too. Parts are still out there. We recently built one that makes a tad over 200 HP and runs fine on 93. It pulls to about 6,800. Avoid the Offy "Dual Port" intake. The Weiand "open plenum" is a better unit. Engle still has good cam grinds. There are Holley 390s still out there calibrated specifically for Vega.

Lots of options...

Jim

82 chevy
08-04-2006, 02:10 AM
my brother had a vega wagon not sure what year it was but he had put a built 327 sb in it and that thing hauled ass, im pretty sure he did not do to many radical change to it as far as fram and etc..

Ed-o
04-06-2007, 06:29 PM
I had a Vega when I was younger and slapped a hopped up 327 in it. I had a 411 posi to hold it to the street with a ladder bar set up. It was a blast, to drive and turned alot of heads in my town. I loved sitting at stop lights and pulling the front wheels without using full throttle. LOL It was close enough to street legal that I did get it to licence. If I remember correctly, we robbed factory motor mounts, and the radiator off of a V-8 monza and they bolted right in after knocking the 4 banger ones out. That's been a long time ago, but oh the memories ! It also seemed to get the attention of our local law enforement, but they were more amuzed by it than threatened. LOL I doubt the police would respect anything like that now days ! It's a ton of work, to do, but back then well worth the time. I spanked a many a muscle cars with it. There's nothing like power to weight ratio.. Have fun with it but be careful. They will scoot and get away from you in a heartbeat. Don't ask me how I know !

muchopaco311
05-06-2007, 09:30 PM
I have a 1972 vega 2300 I got from my uncle when he passed away. It has a 350 v8, incapsulated drive shaft, three speed trany, b&m shifter, and its tubbed out. I dont know how fast i can get it going because the wheelds dont stop spinning it is so much fun

Add your comment to this topic!