88 Toronado Oil Presure Problem

Kremer210
07-12-2006, 06:58 AM
I have an 88 Toro and lately the oil presure as been getting very low. Regardless of speed, gear, or stoping at a red light it heads south. It is a digital gauge so i cant say what presure it does have but it hangs around the lower 1/4 of the gauge. Ive always been suspicious of digital gauges but I dont know whats involved in wiring a mechanical. Oil level is correct. i dont hear any weird sounds or feel any type of strange vibrations. hopefully someone can help.

Thanks in Advance

P.S.- I love that we have our own forum now. Great Job!

BNaylor
07-12-2006, 08:12 AM
Welcome. You have the first post in the new Toronado subforum. It would be helpful if you could list the mileage.

100% free webcam site! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=0) | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=2) | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3 (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=4)

Kremer210
07-12-2006, 08:40 AM
The mileage is 159,000, sorry . . .

maxwedge
07-12-2006, 04:12 PM
I have an 88 Toro and lately the oil presure as been getting very low. Regardless of speed, gear, or stoping at a red light it heads south. It is a digital gauge so i cant say what presure it does have but it hangs around the lower 1/4 of the gauge. Ive always been suspicious of digital gauges but I dont know whats involved in wiring a mechanical. Oil level is correct. i dont hear any weird sounds or feel any type of strange vibrations. hopefully someone can help.

Thanks in Advance

P.S.- I love that we have our own forum now. Great Job!
There should be an oil pressure sender near the oil filter /adapter housing, get a mechanical gage on it and see what you really have then post back results. PS, these engines, if not well maintained can and will wear out the oil pump housing/front engine cover. Do you know th history of the car, make sure there are no signs of oil sludging in the engine, may even pull a valve cover if you do not know the car's backround.

Kremer210
07-13-2006, 06:42 AM
The car was my little brothers. he bought with 70,000 miles on it and it has ran good and strong until now. The only thing i have had done to it was a tranny at 120,000.

I went to autozone last night and bought a mechanical gauge and will test it later today. Should I run a thicker oil in it? Right now I use 5w-30 . . .
Just curious.

maxwedge
07-13-2006, 09:05 AM
The car was my little brothers. he bought with 70,000 miles on it and it has ran good and strong until now. The only thing i have had done to it was a tranny at 120,000.

I went to autozone last night and bought a mechanical gauge and will test it later today. Should I run a thicker oil in it? Right now I use 5w-30 . . .
Just curious.
Don't change anything till you test the o/p, if it is low, wait till it gets hot to determine that, then thicker oil is a patch job. You will need to get into the oil pump. Even possible bearings could be an issue here.

Kremer210
07-14-2006, 07:28 AM
Okay I hooked the gauge up last night, and started the car and let it warm up.
Oil pressure remained right at 50 psi, and maintained for 30 minutes. So my diagnosis is the sending unit is faulty.

maxwedge
07-14-2006, 03:54 PM
Okay I hooked the gauge up last night, and started the car and let it warm up.
Oil pressure remained right at 50 psi, and maintained for 30 minutes. So my diagnosis is the sending unit is faulty.
Agreed, but you now see how the proper diagnostic process is of utmost importance with any issue like this. Good work taking our advice and resolving this. Remember though, the dash gage can be flukey on these, but you now know the engine is ok.

Add your comment to this topic!