Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2003 Santa Fe Gas Tank Has Fuel But Shows As Empty

RICH2006
06-17-2006, 03:21 PM
Hope you can help. My gas tank on my 2003 Hyundai Santa Fe has been in the Hyundai Dealer's shop once to be fixed for the following problem. They did not fix the problem.

One week ago my gas tank symbol illuminated and the needle indicator suddenly dropped to empty even though the gas tank was 3/4 full. Vehicle taken in for service. Dealer stated the fuel sender was corroded and was replaced. A new fuel pump was also replaced under the warranty repair.

Four days later after filling up the tank and driving approximately 40 miles, the fuel tank light came on again and the needle again dropped to empty. Again tank is still about 3/4 full.

Both problems are occurring at the same time - fuel indicator light "yellow gas tank symbol" coming on and the needle dropping to "E".

This Monday my vehicle is going back again for service.

Any ideas where the problem may be coming from?

Thanks in advance.
Rich. New Jersey, USA.

mysticarcangel
01-29-2007, 08:16 PM
I would say they need to replace your fuel sending unit.. We see those problems alot and that 99% of the time fixes them after being replaced..

Will

DSHornet
11-03-2008, 08:16 PM
I tore into the fuel quantity system on my '01 Santa a few weeks ago. Yours is probably similar.

There are two fuel sending units in my car, on the left and right sides of the fuel tank. The reason is because the tank is shaped like a saddlebag, with a large "bump" in the center to make room for the exhaust pipe and, on AWD models, the rear propeller shaft. The sending units are connected in series to show an average fuel level in both sides of the tank. The left side unit is the fuel pump/fuel level/low fuel warning unit and the right side unit is fuel level only. The right hand connector has two pins only for fuel quantity, with one going to the dash gauge and the other going to the fuel quantity connector pin on the left side. The left hand connector is five pins: two for the fuel pump + and -, one for fuel quantity, one for low fuel level, and one for a common ground serving the two. Since you are having trouble with both the fuel level and low fuel warning light, I would guess that the common ground has a problem, either at the connector or the point at which it connects to chassis ground.

BTW, there are also two fuel pickups, one on each side, with a tube connecting the fuel pump (on the left) with the right side so the pump can draw out of either or both sides of the tank, probably to keep the pump from trying to pump air if the car is on an extreme left or right tilt.

Add your comment to this topic!