Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

looking into a 03 s type R

ImPLiCiTS14
06-04-2006, 11:09 PM
im currently looking at buying a used s type R from a friend and wanted to do some research on it first. Whats the reliability on this car im hearing alot of bad things about jag and previous models. Any body have any probs with theirs?? any info will help thanks.

Oldengineer
06-06-2006, 12:21 AM
You seem to hear this crap from people who've never owned one. J. D. Powers ranked Jag just below Lexus in 05. I had an 03 2.5 X Type that was extremely reliable (my first Jag ever). Liked it so much, I just traded up for an 06 X Type 3.0. That being said - All these luxury cars are expensive to repair if you have a problem. I bought the Jag 7 year - 100K warranty on the 06 because I plan to keep it. If the 03 you're looking at is still under its original factory warranty - talk to a Jag dealer and see about extending it. Another alternative would be one of the good aftermarket warranty companies. The S Type R has to be a hoot to drive - its got almost 400 HP under the hood. My other advice would be to review the car's service records to make sure it was well taken care of, and, research KBB, Edmunds, etc. to make sure you buy for the right price. While shopping, I found an 05 S Type R with 3K miles on it, certified by Jag, for $44K at a Jag dealership in Lexington, KY. Heck of a deal, but, the X Type's AWD comes in real handy where I live.

Hope this helps:
Oldengineer

Aston_Jag_Tech
06-14-2006, 01:35 AM
S-Type R? Fun!!

Only problems that I can think of are bubbles in the side walls of the tires, they are pretty low pro tires and pot holes here take them out.

All performance brakes, tires, so expect to pay more for the scheduled maintenance. Some of the 03 S Type Rs are toed in in the front end geometry, might want to conisder taking it to a Dealer to correct it. Major tire wear if not.

Its a fun car pretty much, Never had any real concerns from owners here in S.D.

-Scott

Add your comment to this topic!