Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1999 Cherokee AC/Blower Issues

CashMcL
05-28-2006, 01:31 PM
Heya all,

I have a 1999 Jeep Cherokee (4 wheel drive) that has run into a couple of issues last fall. Around the same time (I can't remember if they broke at the same time, but definately within a week or so of each other) I ran into some blower and AC problems.

Basically the blower will only work on the highest setting, 4, where lower settings 1, 2, and 3 all put out no air. At any of the lower settings there is some airflow through the vents, but only at high car speeds (ie. highways), so the air pressure isn't coming from a blower fan. My understanding is that one of the resisters in the blower stack is probably gone, so only the highest setting works because on high the current would be bypassing the resisters all together. If this is the case I have no idea where the resister stack is located, and how I would go about fixing it.

About the same time the AC stopped putting out cold air as well. Any of the AC settings simply put out vent air (not cold) and again only on the highest setting (which is annoying because level 4 is pretty noisy). I would like to think it has something to do with the blower because it happened at the same time, I know AC problems can be tricky and costly.

Any help on either (or both :p ) would be greatly apprciated.

GregA
05-28-2006, 04:13 PM
Welcome to the Forum!

Here is a link that shows where the resistor pack is on a 1998, it should be similar on a 1999. Just follow the wires from the blower motor back until you find it.

To fix it, just replace it.

http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?ForwardPage=/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/15/2b/11/0900823d80152b11.jsp

Let us know what you find.

Take Care,

McCann
06-21-2006, 10:21 PM
Hey Cash,

Greg is right on with the link. I just replaced one on Sonny Boys 94. You will need a phillips to take out 1 screw to remove the rounded cover under the passenger side of the dash. You will need a 9/32 socket to remove the two screws that hold on the resistor block. It cost about $23 + tax at the Chrysler parts store. You will have to wiggle the wire harness to get it off.

One of the male connectors on the resistor block will look like it is broke off and has been filed. But is that is how it came as it only has four male connectors.

Now here is my Problem...the new one worked great for a week and now isn't working at all...and I am not getting any power to it except when the blower switch is on high...which does bypass the resistors. My problem is that there is NO hot wire going to the resistor block now when in the medium and low positions...only high...any ideas out there in Jeep land?
'
Thanks...Sonny Boy's old man....Mike

CashMcL
06-28-2006, 04:24 PM
Sorry for the delay, I haven't had a chance to try to fix it till today. Heres an update.

I managed to get the blower motor resister changed out...about $40 from the jeep place, the local junkyard didn't have one the same type :banghead:...but atleast the blower works on all settings. I had a heck of a time getting it in/out though...after removeing the 3 kickplate screws (is there a 4th?) It still wouldnt come off and would only 'hinge' forward, which means I had to reach around blind to take out the screws, or try to get my head back behind the plate by laying on my back on a fully reclined passenger seat. :icon16:

Anyways still no luck with getting any cold air out of the AC...I guess my only option is getting it recharged somewhere and hopeing that fixes it...and don't think I can do that myself?

AlohaBra
06-29-2006, 06:11 PM
1. to get the kick panel cover off completely, move the seat back and loosen all the screws for the panel along the lower door opening and bend inward.
You can also pivot the glove box back by removing the two rubber bump stops.

2. Instead of taking it in, go to a good parts store and buy gages. I bought the low side first with recharge kit, about $40.00 and added r-134a and got it working. But later, I had other problems and bought another gage with the high side adapter, this way I can read high and low pressures at the same time.
If I had to do it again, I would have gotten the whole gage set. (But you might have to buy the can tap separately.) $100-130 buck for everything, including some R134a.

3. I did take mine in the first time, and they did not fix it properly and it costs more that all the gages that I bought. I was able to use the gages again and again on other problems, including my wife's Toyota. Also, had to change the compressor on the XJ later on and was able to recharge using the gage set.

Best regards,

CashMcL
06-29-2006, 11:13 PM
Hmm...but can I be pretty confident that all it needs is a recharge? It puts out zero cold air, just like using it on vent. I didn't think major AC work could be done yourself without a shop/experience, but if it saves some money (and its not extrodinarily difficult) I would be willing to give it a shot.

AlohaBra
06-29-2006, 11:38 PM
Yeah..I didn't want to do it either, except that when I had it done it didn't solve my problem.

The starter kit to recharge is forty dollars with a gage and instructions at Kragens.

That is also what this forum is about...other folks with XJ Cherokees.
In my case a 97 4x4 and a 2001 2wd (for the kid). Also used to be a mechanic/dealer tech.

Saudade
07-01-2006, 09:29 AM
Depends on your definition of "major". If you're only low on refrigerant, topping it off is not difficult in my book. Just make sure you check the proper specs for your year and charge only to that spec. A good set of gauges, like AlohaBra says, will not only help this time, but you'll have them for other vehicles as well.

If you have a bad leak and all the refrigerant has leaked out, you run the risk of having air in the system. Since air has moisture in it, you should consider getting it filled at a service station. They have the equipment needed to pull a vacuum first which removes the air and moisture before charging the system. Of course, if there's a leak, it should be fixed first.

Poyndexter
07-20-2006, 07:23 PM
I have a valid reason to bring this thread back to life, just need to ask a question.

I have almost the exact same problem as he's describing, with one difference. My A/C also only works on 4, but it will not blow out of the front vents. It will only blow through the defrost vents.

Is it possible that it's all related to a resistor being bad? Or is there some other gremlin creeping around my A/C system?

Saudade
07-23-2006, 09:25 PM
Personally, I think you should have started a new thread.

Anyways, the "only runs on 4" is likely a resistor pack issue. Only blowing out the defrost vents is a vacuum issue with the HVAC doors. So they are related but different problems.

Poyndexter
07-26-2006, 12:18 AM
Personally, I think you should have started a new thread.

Anyways, the "only runs on 4" is likely a resistor pack issue. Only blowing out the defrost vents is a vacuum issue with the HVAC doors. So they are related but different problems.

Sorry, I come from a forum where it would have been frowned upon in most cases. I'll chalk this one up to newbie (ism), :cool:.

Add your comment to this topic!