Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Trans rebuild... RE-STARTED.

Earlsfat
05-27-2006, 11:55 PM
okokok... when you have an extra part left over it's a problem. I know this... I even looked at all the exploded diagrams, all the articles I could find.. nothing on this one part. So... after some guidance from the local trans shop's old fart in th corner, basically the damned thing holds the reverse shift rod in the tailhousing, and keeps the forklet on the reverse gear, so that you don't lose your reverse. Fourth slips so I decide to take it apart and make it right, except the freakin input bearing locknut WILL NOT COME OFF. (I guess that's why they call it a locknut, huh?) So I pull of the tailhousing to fix reverse, and the gasket sealant sealed it so well, that the mid plate comes of the main case and the synchros fall apart, all te gaskets ripped, and well... Now I'm back at square 2. Not all the way to square 1, but not too god damned far from it. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Seriously considering getting a Richmond 5 Speed now, but if I can't get one with standard gearing and overdrive, I'll have to drop the rear to like 2.73. I figure if I sell the Muncie (after its fixed) for like 500 or so, that'll make the Richmond more affordable.

We'll see... I'm still trying to calm down... there was a WHOLE LOT of cussing going on this afternoon...

666_speed
05-28-2006, 12:05 AM
haha, better luck this time...if it gets bad enough to get rid of the car, you now i'll take it

Stealthy-One
05-28-2006, 05:25 AM
i am really sorry for this, but you just made me laugh. better luck with it on tis go round though.

VoXx
05-28-2006, 05:38 AM
I own a 76 Trans Am and live in the NY Rochester area. I have been searching for a shop in my area that can install a 12 bolt rear-end, strenghten my frame and re-mounts engine/trani mounts,

Do live near there, if you do do you know of a shop near?

kahjdh
05-28-2006, 09:27 AM
Wow, hope the engine build goes this smooth :slap:

Earlsfat
05-28-2006, 07:59 PM
If the rest of the car goes this smooth I'm gonna leave it running, unlocked at Broad and Diamond in Philly with a cheesesteak and a 40 sitting in the passenger seat.

Talk about PISSED... my wife just walked out of the garage and didn't say a word. I think the thrid or fourth "FUCK" got the attention of all my neighbors who then started trying to see into my garage to see what was going on.

It's ok if you think it's funny, I sorta do.. when Im not mad about it. Hey, I laugh at everyone's mistakes because I'm sure as shit going to make a bunch too.

Voxx, I'm about 5 hours from you, the engine and trans mounts I wouldn't think would be all that hard, same with the rear end switch-out. Strengthening the frame??? Not to sure about that one, you'd better get someone who knows what the hell they're doing for that. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

skibum1111
05-29-2006, 05:04 PM
Man that sucks. I dropped a transmission off a stand, broke the bell housing, the neighbors 1/2 mile down the road heard me. Good luck with the transmission. Personally, I'd stick with the muncie, love them.

cuda_dude
05-29-2006, 09:59 PM
I've done that many times myself... relized you forgot something after you were all done and then you had to do it all over again.... but look on the bright side... it goes back together twice as fast the 2nd time...

Earlsfat
05-30-2006, 02:44 PM
I've done that many times myself... relized you forgot something after you were all done and then you had to do it all over again.... but look on the bright side... it goes back together twice as fast the 2nd time...

Yeah! lol ... The second time would be MUCH quicker if I did it right the FIRST TIME... dammit.

Good thing I didn't have any cigarettes laying around, I'd have just cut the end off and lit the whole pack.... bad day, BAD DAY!

wrightz28
05-31-2006, 08:58 AM
hmmm,

Seem to recall asking, any extra parts? :lol:

Earlsfat
05-31-2006, 09:37 AM
heyheyhey... You now owe me a beer.

Seriously though, one of the exploded diagrams said something to the effect that some parts may not be used on all versions of the trans, but apparently they were talking about a different fucking part. Pricks.

1986Z28
05-31-2006, 02:59 PM
lol

wrightz28
05-31-2006, 04:03 PM
You know what you really need to get that thing fixed up right?

A bigger hammer :thumbsup:

Earlsfat
05-31-2006, 04:09 PM
or a trebuchet....

Savage Messiah
05-31-2006, 05:28 PM
If the rest of the car goes this smooth I'm gonna leave it running, unlocked at Broad and Diamond in Philly with a cheesesteak and a 40 sitting in the passenger seat.

let me know and ill be there ;)

92zcamaroperson
05-31-2006, 06:55 PM
whatever happened to the t-56 idea?

Earlsfat
06-01-2006, 08:11 AM
Wellllll... I read an articlke in High Performance Chevy that discussed putting a T56 into a 1 gen / early 2 gen. Apparently there's issues with the mechanical clutch conversion on the T56, bell-housing issues, etc. They said there's a company called D&D that already has one done so it's a direct bolt in, but they want $2700 for the whole deal.

I'm thinking of going for a Richmond 5 speed, new ring and pinion, etc - BUT, that's going to run around $2500.

SO. I'm not sure what the hell I'm gonna do, but in the menatime I gotta get red Death back on the streets to represent the nastiness of the 2 gen in my area. So I'm rebuilindgin the Muncie and driving it until I figure out what the hell I'm gonna do.

wrightz28
06-01-2006, 09:21 AM
Jim's representing! :thumbsup:

As a crowd gathers for another pointless night of streetracing and loitering at Broad and Diamond from a distance, a rumble, the rumble of the mighty 454. As the sound comes closer, the crowd eagerly in anticipation to see what motor mayhem comes their way, and there it is, Red Death, in it's might, stuck in reverse, plowing, with Jiim, crinked neck and all form 2 trans jobs, and driving over his shoulder, cheesestake in hand, 40 in a zip tie made cup holder, as he rears by, "smokes, beer & cheesetakes for life fuckos!" as Earl hops form the passenger seat, and slams down the first to laugh sits on their chest and releases the brute stench that even Saddam Huessan himself would deam inhumane punishment.

Alas, the second gen HAS BEEN represented.

:lol2:

Sorry Jim, I had to, but if you think about it, you know those Miller Light commercials with the deep toned voice over guy and the lead singer from Foreigner, that would make a interesting one :thumbsup:

Earlsfat
06-01-2006, 10:00 AM
**wipes tear from his eye***

I finally found someone that can be as big a jackass as I am.

But, the rumble would be from Earls's stomach from all the brussels sprouts...(edit.. big fart brewing) and there would a green/brown fog creeping out of the passenger window, and when I git out I would be wear a chemical suit and gas mask.

wrightz28
06-01-2006, 11:35 AM
**wipes tear from his eye***

I finally found someone that can be as big a jackass as I am.

:lol:

After 2 weeks of auditing defined contribution plans to ensure a fucking penny was credited to pariticpant accounts or else be slapped with anti-discrimmintion suits by the IRS, you kind of go locco :screwy:

Earlsfat
06-01-2006, 12:54 PM
Heard that bro. In the middle of 5 financial statement audits all at once: 2 municipalities, a fire company, an EMS service and a dog training NPO.

Makes you want to drink gasoline and try to light your farts on fire or something just to get the boredom out of your head.

wrightz28
06-01-2006, 01:23 PM
Gosh, nobody else enjoyed my narrative of Red Deaths plight to glory?

Meh, I'll pass on the drinking gasoline theory, regular coke is bad enough, get the acid reflux going, and my wife has been to the grocery every day this week, and what do I ahve to drink all week? regular freaking coke.

I opt to just break stuff, that way I can go hide with a few beers and "fix" it. :thumbsup:

Earlsfat
06-01-2006, 01:36 PM
I opt to just break stuff, that way I can go hide with a few beers and "fix" it. :thumbsup:

An EXCELLENT plan of action, but my version of "fixing" stuff usually involves me watching the kids and really trying to fix whatever I fucked up while she goes shopping. :banghead:

wrightz28
06-01-2006, 01:42 PM
:lol:

First, I retired from diaper duty.

Then, I retired form haveing to 'watch" them.

Now, I just remind 'em of how much time looms over their head until they are out from underneath the protective grace of the roof provided to them. :thumbsup:

I tell you tho, in the 2 years I've been in this house, I have 'fixed' my garage door more times than I remember. And now, it's barely functional. Guess I know what I'm doing tonight :icon16:

Add your comment to this topic!