Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

98 broken timing belt

lestro
05-26-2006, 01:49 PM
Hi, My daughter-in-law broke the timing belt on her 98 mystique at highway speeds. It appears to be a dual overhead cam engine, is this engine one that the valves clear the pistons, or do you think the valves are bent or broken pistons? I've been told both ways that they'll clear, and also that they won't. Thanks for your input

pre98zetec
06-01-2006, 11:54 AM
Zetec is a non-interference motor. The pistons will never come in contact with the valves.(though I've heard of some people on a rare occassion bending the valve but only because after they broke the belt they sat there and tried to start the car again) Replace the belt-motors good as new.

lestro
06-03-2006, 05:58 PM
Zetec is a non-interference motor. The pistons will never come in contact with the valves.(though I've heard of some people on a rare occassion bending the valve but only because after they broke the belt they sat there and tried to start the car again) Replace the belt-motors good as new.
Thanks for the reply, Josh. I found that out by just replacing it and trying it. Everything's ok. It's strange that the autozone repair guide says it's an interference engine though
Les

Add your comment to this topic!