Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Starting/Stalling Problem - Bad CPS???

Dansjeep89
05-21-2006, 09:00 AM
Let me start from the begining...

One morning about 6 months ago my Jeep didn't Crank (It would turn over but not fire and run). So, I had it towed to the shop and the mechanic reset my Crankshaft Position Sensor (unplugged it and plugged it back up). Problem solved jeep started like normal...

Well, Friday morning my jeep did the same thing. The engine would turn over and over but not start. So, I thought my CPS (Crankshaft Position Sensor) was acting up again... So, this morning I went out and tried to crank my jeep, but it still wouldn't start (I let the engine turn over for about 30 secounds). So, I had it towed to the shop and had the CPS changed.

At about Noon I got the call from my mechanic saying that he had replaced the CPS and everything seemed to be working fine. So, I got a ride over to the shop to pay for the work ($154.82) and pick up my jeep. Anyway, I got in my jeep and it cranked right up. BUT when I got about a mile down the road my jeep just Cut off (stalled).... The first time I tried to re-start my jeep it wouldn't start. It just turned over & over. Anyway, after trying to crank it a few more time I finally got it to start again, but after only driving a few hundered yards it died again. This same thing happened about five more times. It wouldn't start and then it would but after driving it for a short distance it would cut off again.....

Question: Do you think I got a bad CPS put in??? If not what else could it be?

Thanks,
Daniel

P.S. I have a 1989 jeep cherokee with 4 wheel drive and the inline 6.

fredjacksonsan
05-21-2006, 07:58 PM
It could be a bad one was put in....and not the first time a brand new bad part was installed.

Just in case, I'd take a good look at it (about 11 oclock on the bell housing IIRC) and see if it's a new part or not. I've also heard of unscrupulous shops cleaning parts and reinstalling them...

Dansjeep89
05-22-2006, 03:24 PM
Yeah, I thought the same thing so when I took it back I asked to see the old sensor (They had it).

Anyway, I did take it back to the shop and had to pay $100 just to have them test everything else it coould be. Well, I just got the call back from the shop about 1 hour ago and they think it is either my computer or a short in the wiring somewhere. So, they want $244 to replace the computer to see if that fixes the problem, but if is doesn't it could be another $250 to trace down the short.... So, I am kind of pissed because I have already spent $250 and am looking at atleast another $244 or maybe even $500... When its all said and done I could spend up to $750 working this out.

Any advise????

madskycc
05-22-2006, 04:56 PM
try replaceing the ignition module my jeep did the same thing.

89ltd
05-24-2006, 06:04 AM
the sync sensor in the distributor could also cause the same problem, the distributor has to be removed to change it.

Add your comment to this topic!