Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Fuel issues 95 accalim

bhopewell
05-19-2006, 08:35 AM
:1zhelp: My 95 acclaim runs great - when it chooses to start.It acts like it's out of gas - long story short, I'm told to change the fuel filter.

Theory is that that I let the gas get too low. It's got a half tank now, and she's still being mean to me. (I did let it get low in between)

I was told not to try to do this myself--this filter is supposed to be pressurized, and to tamper with it without a special wrench means eternal doom and lots of money to fix this.... also I'm told this filter is in front of the "right" rear tire....but I don't see it.

Anybody know anything?

weeblewobble08
02-02-2007, 08:39 PM
Whoever told you that is feeding you lies. I have a 91 acclaim which is essentially the same thing. I changed my fuel filter in 15 minutes. The fuel filter is pressurized, but to combat this all you need to do is have plenty of rags and one wrapped around the fitting to prevent a shot of gas in the eye. But, first you need to go the an auto store and ask for a quickconnect fuel line and AC line remover. Its kind of a ring you fit over the collar of the fuel filter and push up into the fitting to release the fuel filter. This will run you a little under ten bucks. If they dont know what your talking about, go somewhere else, i had to try two different stores to get one. You heard partially right on the position of the fuel filter. But it's not as close to the tire as you might be thinking. It is located on the forward side of the fueltank in the middle of the car. You can probably trace the gas lines if you lay on the ground on the passenger side and look around. Hope this helps

Add your comment to this topic!