Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

91 Engine Stalling

Den3221
05-03-2006, 07:11 AM
Got a 91 Cherokee with 250k and Manual Trans.

For some reason during the warmer season, my engine stalls when downshifting with my manual trans. After the engine is heated up, if I am slowing down or getting ready to downshift, when I depress the clutch the engine will stall. It doesn't happen all the time, just now and then. It also hasn't happened when I am shifting up while accelerating or revving the engine.

My neighbor thought it was clogged injectors and recommended Chevron Injector cleaner, but didn't do the trick.

Any ideas? Thanks, Dennis

Den3221
05-12-2006, 12:31 PM
Anyone else had similar problems with their Cherokee (see above)? I can't seem to figure it out and the warmer weather is moving on in.

The truck always starts up after it stalls, but I dread the day it decides not to startup again.

Thanks, Dennis

89ltd
05-19-2006, 02:14 PM
does it happen as soon as you press the clutch? and only when you press the clutch??

Den3221
05-21-2006, 07:48 AM
Yes, it only happens when I depress the clutch.

And it only seems to happen when it is hot outside, and when I am DECELERATING or COASTING.

Any ideas?

89ltd
05-21-2006, 10:09 AM
I'm looking at the wiring diagram , for an older one, but if it runs perfect on the road, and idling, I would think the ecu is losing a ground when you press the clutch somehow. There is a clutch switch, its there to prevent starting of the engine without having your foot on the clutch. I'll have to get back to you , I'm still a little stumped on this one.

Den3221
05-22-2006, 12:05 PM
Yes, please let me know. Hopefully it is something I can fix myself to save $$. It has only stalled twice this spring, but as the weather gets warmer, it occurs more often. Luckily it has started right up after that.....

89ltd
05-24-2006, 04:24 PM
I dont'' see any relationship between the clutch switch and the engine stalling, I think the switch is only concerned when the jeep is being started. I have an automatic, haven't seen the setup with a clutch but I would follow the clutch pedal cable, or linkage , get under the jeep while somebody pushes the clutch in and out to make sure it is not interfering with the crank shaft sensor wires. What is the history on your crank position sensor ? Was it ever replaced? Many people here have complained about accasional stalling when the motor warms up, and most problems were the result of the cps.

Den3221
05-25-2006, 01:54 AM
I had not heard anything about the Crankshaft Position Sensor causing stallings. I have only had the truck for 4 years and have not replaced it since I have owned it. What is the typical life span?

I checked my Chilton's, and it looks like I can test it with a Multimeter. I also checked online, and it looks like it is a $65 +/- part.......too expensive just to replace without knowing if it really is the problem.

Thanks, Dennis

89ltd
05-29-2006, 05:43 AM
you can check it with a multi meter but it will show that its okay, because right now it is working of course. If you look through the threads in this forum you should find hundreds of crank shaft position (cps) failure. The problem is most start acting up when they get hot. You should check for codes stored in the computer. I replaced mine just on spec, because I know that the engine will not run if the cam and or crank sensors are not good, $51 canadian. Also , they have such a bad reputation that I don't want to get stuck some where. Save your $65 for the toe truck driver.....

rob doggy dog
05-29-2006, 06:19 PM
vapor lock? try a new gas cap if it could be faulty... long shot but could be a quick fix:2cents:

Den3221
06-02-2006, 12:38 PM
Alright, thanks I will into that, not sure how much a new gas cap costs but it shouldn't be much.

It hasn't done it in a while, but I won't hold my breathe....

Add your comment to this topic!