Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Auto to Manual?

Marantz
04-25-2006, 10:30 PM
How hard is it to swap from an automatic transmission to a manual?

I was thinking about the clutch assembly off a CJ5, the hydraulic clutch, to avoid a bunch of linkage.

The only reason I ask, is because this transmission is kind of dieing...when I am driving down the road, and let off the gas, and then put my foot back on the gas, it seems to slip, then DROP into gear, with a CLUNK. Not good...:uhoh:

fredjacksonsan
04-26-2006, 10:27 AM
Probably cheaper (and easier!) to simply have the trans rebuilt.

There are a lot of threads here in the Jeep forums with the same discussion, and there are a lot more headaches than just swapping the transmissions including output shaft length, electrical harness differences and whether the new trans will mate up to the engine, to name a few.

Before you go and do anything, you might want to consider that fresh fluid can make a huge difference in your transmission.

The lurch might be drivetrain slack; how are your Ujoints?

Marantz
04-27-2006, 11:26 PM
Probably cheaper (and easier!) to simply have the trans rebuilt.

There are a lot of threads here in the Jeep forums with the same discussion, and there are a lot more headaches than just swapping the transmissions including output shaft length, electrical harness differences and whether the new trans will mate up to the engine, to name a few.

Before you go and do anything, you might want to consider that fresh fluid can make a huge difference in your transmission.

The lurch might be drivetrain slack; how are your Ujoints?

Hmm...Ujoints...I have had some BAD shaking sometimes around 55-60, I'll check into all of that..

New fluid eh? I might have to look into that too.

Add your comment to this topic!