Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

How to tune a SAFC2 via wideband

carrera1984
04-22-2006, 09:06 PM
Hey guys.... I know imma probally get crap for this but i need help with tuning. I have my SafcII installed and my aem wideband installed. I have a basic understanding of how it works but i think id be better if somone could give me a link or post up for an idiots guide on "how to"... This would be sooooo appriciated! I've searched everywhere and really can't find any how to... so im left here dumbfounded. That instruction manuel is just no help.

Side note- My wideband seems to not really hold much anything unless im under WOT, then it will hold bobbing up and down .1ish I think this has something to to with putting the pedal to the floor(WOT). Im really trying to learn this because im not in any way finished with my car and bringing me to a tuner shop at 200 and hour would be rediculous(not to mention that when i add another part the tune would be off). Also do u think something is wrong if my wideband is all over the place unless its under WOT?

Thank so much, Ryan

carrera1984
04-22-2006, 09:08 PM
p.s. i have I/E/H, highfow cat, apexi safcII, AEM wideband

scottsee
04-28-2006, 01:13 AM
Before you can tune for open loop WOT, You need to tune you LTFT. I would be Extreamly intrested to know the Factory enrichment curves for the Tiburon. I've never botherd to learn them being a 4g63 guy.

What year/model tiburon do you have?

I won't explain how to tune your safc2 here, now becasue it would just take all night and to be quite honist, this section just dosn't get enought traffic for me to waist my time. There is a wonderfull how-to here http://www.dsmtuner.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58403 Just don't pay attention to the Eclipse specific information.

In a nutshell (once you get you LTFT set) you will be tuning open loop operations based off your wideband. Because you dont have a fancy engine mangment system that can make realtime ajustments to your ECU; Your fased with having to minupulate the MAF HZ signal to offset what Airflow you want the ECU to see in order to effectly tune for your desired results. Let me explain. If your intrested in running max effecny of your N/A system, you need to understand what the ECU does, and will do at certian Airflow rates (again, after LTFT are set). Most applications or logger read airflow as a fexed messure rate (Lb/min, CFM, G/min) You engine on the other hand will make decisions based on g/rev. It only cares what is entering the combustion chamber during one rev, and will make changes to IPW, enrichment values, timing cures, exc based on that #.

Now, like I said I don't know the 1st, 2nd, 3rd gen tib ecu's at all. So, I cant tell you what the low, mid, high fuel enrichment vales are based on airflow, or what max timing is within certin airlfow rates, what kock counts are acceptable, when coolent temps will retart timing, what airtemp will give you full base timing, exc. But I will help you with some basics.

You want to shoot for 11.1:1 A/f durrin WOT. Most books will tell you to shoot for 12-12.5:1 becasue it produces the best lean best toqure, well, Yeah, maybe, but I've always had good luck with 11:1 becasue it happes to be best rich torque and is also the fastest flame speed A/F durring combustion. It's also a little more forgiving if fuel stops, or becomes less leanier and you run into a fuel delivery problem.

I really don't even know where to start. Get those LTFT set up and let me know.

carrera1984
05-09-2006, 11:03 PM
Ah crap, im really gonna need a logger then, somehow i though from what i read that you wouldnt need a logger... guess i was wrong i get the WOT part of tuning... just the low throttle is kinda confusing. I think im going to look up about the logger and see if i can barrow it from somewhere or something... I'll post back when ive figured that out. Just wondering, how do normal people figure out this stuff??? Seems really complicated not to have an idiots guide to this thing floating around.

p.s. I cant read the signal coming from my stock sensor or my wideband just with like a voltmeter? If possible id like to not buy another toy and get some better tires.

P.s.s. Im setting up a zex nitros kit on my car. do u think i should make 2 fuel maps, one nitros and one not nitros(obvously at WOT). Because I know that the SAFC2 can have 2 maps and u pick which one to load.
--------------------------
2004 Tiburon GT v6 6 speed

-Engine proformance-
-full exaust
-cai
-SAFC2
- digital wideband 02 w/ logger preout i think?

scottsee
05-12-2006, 03:06 AM
No offense, but your not really learning on the easiest of platforms. There is not a huge amount of information available for Tiburons... So learing on this is going to be alot more difficult then learning on say, a DSM/Honda. The idea is the same. Your ECU, PCM works just like every other OBDII compliant vehical. The only difference are the written enrichment variables and timing curves.

Their is no possible way you could map out your enrichment values without a logger. It's based Airflow in relation to RPM. If your serious, trust me, buy a logging device. If your Computer smart look at the SDS Engine Mangment System. I don't have the patiens for software scriping, but alot of people do. It's by far the best system for the $$.. $139

Your o2 volts are indications of lean/rich mixture, as well as a warning of inadiquite fuel delivery. You want to log it. Your wideband will simply be for WOT tuning, nothing else. Your LTFT are the most important thing. You shouldn't have any problem with it whatso ever using the stock MAF, fuel pump, injectors, exc. It dosn't hurt to be absolutly possitive...

Add your comment to this topic!