Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Car tuning

eeyore
07-16-2002, 03:11 AM
Ok, I've got a P11GT with 84k on the clock. I've also got some money burning a hole in my pocket.

Rather than starting to upgrade and replace various parts, I'm going to leave the car with my local mechanic for the day and let him tinker. The aim of this is to get the engine running sweetly back to 150hp.

Can anyone recommend an overhaul proceedure to achieve this? For example, does the timing drift, do the tappets need adjusting, etc. This is just to give the mechanic a list of areas to play with.

The cars had a hard life, so I very much doubt it's running 100% at present. Any ideas??

nismo_gt
07-16-2002, 08:53 AM
You really need to get the car to someone with Nissan "Consult"
which is the handheld diagnostic computer, this can check alot
of values ie O2 sensors,air flow, timing etc,etc
Mechanically theres not really alot to tune so your money might be better spent at a dealer I'm afraid

eeyore
07-16-2002, 09:34 AM
Cheers!

I don't have a problem paying for main dealer service, but I have a bad track record with main dealers in general. I've spent far too much money over the years paying for main dealer service, only to find that some trainee-monkey has been working on the car and broken more than he's fixed...

(btw, most of that experience came from Citroen main dealers).

DAVIDEVANS007
07-16-2002, 12:56 PM
I had a citroen once, back subframe/suspension rotted away after LAD MOTORSPORT "forgot" to replace weather seals after adjusting the torsion bar cost me thousands to sort, then the gearbox went so i fixed it and sold it on and bought the MIGHTY PRIMERA..... now 133,000 miles on and im thinking of ditching that too! BRING ON THE EVO VI !!

eeyore
07-17-2002, 03:27 AM
Are you my alter ego?

I came from a Citroen, to the primera and the current next bet is an Evo (as for which one depends on how much money I can muster)!

I've got to admit, citroen do make nice cars, until they go wrong. I was previously driving a turbo diesel Xantia. Wonderful car to drive, but a 1" piece of plastic broke on the clutch arm (it's a standard failure point introduced from the peugeot 405). Citroen quote 13hours labour to replace it - dashboard out job. I did it in 2hours by hacksawing the over-sized bolt down to the correct size before removing it! Of course, this failing bit of plastic is a pre-cursor to a failing clutch. This was a 17hour job - engine out. Hence the car got sold quick-smart.

Can't beat the time I bought a Renault from the citroen main dealer. Interior heater didn't work, so took it back to them and they put a monkey on it. When I came to pick the car up, I found half the dash hanging off, the door trim hanging off and a couple dozen screws in my ash tray. As it turned out, they didn't need to replace the heater matrix - all that was wrong was the engine thermostat!

I found out that this Citroen dealership didn't employ mechanics, all they employed were kwik-fit style guys backed up by a telephone help line (which of course didn't cover renault)! Unfortunately all dealerships seem to be heading this way

DAVIDEVANS007
07-17-2002, 11:09 AM
HELLO BROTHER!!!

check out my other THREADS...... i know all about MONKEYS

Add your comment to this topic!