Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Moving on over

cherokeecountry94
04-19-2006, 10:20 AM
Just a question I hope someone can help me with. I am moving from Michigan(Grand Rapids) to California(Stockton) and I plan on taking my 94 cherokee country and a 95 cherokee sport with me. I know that michigan has different laws for regulating emissions but I do not know any specifics. Has anyone ever made this move and had to do some convertions to the exhaust, computer system, or anything like that to make it legal? Or am I fine the way it is? I just don't know!

I am moving because of my job but in all reality, my 94 is rust free and I want to keep it out of the salt belt. You may laugh but I am kind of serious. That and Stockton is only about 1.5 hours from Tahoe.

Thanks

neon_rt
04-19-2006, 04:40 PM
You are only required to pass emissions for the Tier (Fed or Cal) that the vehicle was originaly built with. You must actually pass the visual inspection and exhaust sniffer test, otherwise no Tags. If you have any aftermarket parts or mods, you must have the CARB exemption #'s with you and plead your case.

mrbill3
04-19-2006, 10:43 PM
One piece of advice. Try and find some one on this board in that area (by the way, Stockton is a place you move away from...not to!) and get a recommendation for a good shop. Go there and have them do a visual inspection to be sure all the needed equipment is present and that any engine mods you have done are not going to make it fail. Then, and this is the important part, go to DMV and do the registration paperwork BEFORE you get the smog test done. The reason for this is there are different types of smog tests that are done based on your address. The smog check station will need the registered address to perform the correct test. Good luck!!

cherokeecountry94
04-20-2006, 07:16 PM
Thanks everyone for the help! Yeah, I kinda got that same inpression about Stockton, I am looking for apartments outside of the city, so thanks for that advice as well. Off of the Jeep subject, do you have any advice about surrounding areas that would be good to look into, I am looking at a place online in Manteca, is that a little better? Once again, thanks for all the help.

mrbill3
04-20-2006, 10:09 PM
Actually Stockton isn't all that bad if you stay away from the industrial and downtown sections. I would take it over Manteca is I had to choose. I have heard that Lincoln Village is nice. For some good info. on the area check here: http://www.hometownlocator.com/City/Stockton-California.cfm
or here"
http://www.city-data.com/city/Stockton-California.html

cherokeecountry94
04-21-2006, 07:10 AM
Once again, Thanks for all of the help!

Add your comment to this topic!