Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Wheel Bearing Nut/Can't get it off

golf4dj
07-14-2002, 10:52 PM
Any suggestions out there getting a wheel bearing nut off. I am attempting to replace the CV boots and get get the nut off. I just bought the car and it has spent most of it's life in Minesotta and the undercarriage has quite a bit of rust. A friend and I attempted to get the nut off and broke 2 craftsman 1/2 in breaker bars in the process.

I need help!!!

eeyore
07-15-2002, 08:07 AM
you've a few options here.

The first is to get a breaking bar with extension arms. Get a good quality bar and it won't break. I don't know about craftsman (live in uk), but I've had a "king dick" brand running at 6ft long with two people hanging off the end without breaking. I'd imagine "snap-on" would be the same.

The second is to try heating the nut up with a blow torch. This should expand the nut and break and locktight fluid that is on it.

The third is to use a nut splitter and crack the nut, but obviously you'll need a replacement nut. Saying that, either of the options above and you should use a new nut anyway.

golf4dj
07-15-2002, 04:36 PM
Thanks for the input.

I did not think of heating the nut before prying. "Craftsman" tools are pretty solid. Both times I was hanging off the end of the 1/2 inch breaker bar with a 3ft extension when it broke. I am looking into a 3/4 socket, they are just much harder to find and certainly more expensive.

wisey
11-14-2005, 04:41 AM
does any one know how to undo the rear wheel bearing nut on a j reg primera. cheers

J..M
04-21-2006, 08:38 PM
does any one know how to undo the rear wheel bearing nut on a j reg primera. cheers

Yeah with a 30mm (or is it 28) socket & some muscle power

Add your comment to this topic!