Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

autogearbox on 740

peter05
04-12-2006, 12:41 PM
I am having aproblem with the auto box on a 1995 740 that has afull bmw service history and which has just covered 55000 miles. When the car is driven from a cold start the gear change is very jerky and it feel as if the box does not want to change and will stay in that gear, on 3 or 4 the change is quite bad and then as soon as the car warms up this smooths out, any answer

ZONDERVANUS
01-12-2007, 12:19 AM
I am having aproblem with the auto box on a 1995 740 that has afull bmw service history and which has just covered 55000 miles. When the car is driven from a cold start the gear change is very jerky and it feel as if the box does not want to change and will stay in that gear, on 3 or 4 the change is quite bad and then as soon as the car warms up this smooths out, any answer

I have the same problem...

I was told and forewarned prior to purchasing this '94 740IL three weeks ago that these cars are problematic.. transmission slips... check engine light comes on and runs rough... I think that my tranny is bad.. it feels as though i had a manual tranny whose clutch is slipping...

littleMSG
08-31-2007, 06:46 PM
A get a valve body rebuild kit from ZF. I've fixed many with this problem as long as there not slipping or slipping bad. Vehicle most still shift in all gears including reverse. It's worth a try. The valve body isn't hard to get out, but very messy. The rest is done on a clean work bench. Kit comes with directions on replacing the springs and check balls. This is very common on all bmw V8 models 95-98.

Add your comment to this topic!