Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

SRT-4 Engine in a 96 Neon

Neon Boy
04-12-2006, 11:27 AM
Is it possible to put a SRT-4 engine in a 96 Neon? I know you guys are gonna call me crazy but this is my project for this summer. Do you know of any problems I may encounter? Any help or comments is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

neon_rt
04-12-2006, 11:38 AM
You can do it. A lot of people have. You can do a Google search and probably find someone who has posted the complete procedure with pics.
You will need a SRT4 or PT Cruizer Turbo GT donor car to get started and a MP stage 1 upgrade kit (for the ECU).

das2123
04-12-2006, 02:19 PM
Is it possible to put a SRT-4 engine in a 96 Neon?First off, anything is possible with enough time and money. What you want to ask, is how hard/difficult and cost? And no you are not crazy, it has been done successfully many times as mentioned. I don't know anyone on here who has done it, but I do know people who have done it. Read young grasshopper

Do you know of any problems I may encounter?Oh just a few, like engine mount locations, alot of trimming and fabbing, modifying a new TB cable, fabbing a new PCM mount, battery tray and on and on. It can be done, but it isn't a simple project. Your best bet is to get a wrecked SRT that has the engine and tranny unharmed.

GSXBMX
04-12-2006, 04:29 PM
i sorta disagree...this project is actually very simple..one of the easiest projects i think there is to do....my friend recently swapped srt kotor,tranny,limited slip and many other parts into his 2 door neon and it was one of the simplest things i have ever seen....

Neon Boy
04-12-2006, 10:47 PM
Hey, thanks a lot guys. I appreciate it. Any more info if anyone has it would be nice. Especially a link to someone who has done it because I can't find anything on it.

sv650s
04-12-2006, 11:39 PM
what about a 4g63t swap?

Neon Boy
04-12-2006, 11:56 PM
what about a 4g63t swap?

Well I know nothing about that engine to be honest. Is their a greater advantage to the 4g63t over the SRT-4? It sure is a hell of a lot cheaper...

das2123
04-13-2006, 07:52 AM
what about a 4g63t swap?
Well I know nothing about that engine to be honest. Is their a greater advantage to the 4g63t over the SRT-4? It sure is a hell of a lot cheaper...The 4g63 will not swap into the neon unless you are willing to spend alot more money. I don't know why people think a mitsubishi motor will swap into a chrysler easily. Hell the 4g63 isn't an easy swap into a N/A eclipse.

i sorta disagree...this project is actually very simple..one of the easiest projects i think there is to do....my friend recently swapped srt kotor,tranny,limited slip and many other parts into his 2 door neon and it was one of the simplest things i have ever seen....Disagree all you want, but it isn't an easy swap. What year is your friend's neon?

sv650s
04-13-2006, 06:56 PM
The 4g63 will not swap into the neon unless you are willing to spend alot more money. I don't know why people think a mitsubishi motor will swap into a chrysler easily. Hell the 4g63 isn't an easy swap into a N/A eclipse.

oh......i thought the swap would be pretty easy since the neons use a sohc 4g63

das2123
04-13-2006, 09:57 PM
oh......i thought the swap would be pretty easy since the neons use a sohc 4g63WHAT? The SOHC neon's engine build sheet code is ECB not 4g63. The 4g63 is the engine in the turbo eclipse and the 420a engine is in the non-turbo eclipse. The 420a is not the neon engine.

Stick to the Completely off-topic (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=664) forum!

sv650s
04-14-2006, 12:35 PM
WHAT? The SOHC neon's engine build sheet code is ECB not 4g63. The 4g63 is the engine in the turbo eclipse and the 420a engine is in the non-turbo eclipse. The 420a is not the neon engine.

Stick to the Completely off-topic (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=664) forum!
yeah my bad...the 4663 does come in some weak cars though.....guess i should just stick to nissans

das2123
04-14-2006, 10:50 PM
yeah my bad...the 4g63 does come in some weak cars though.....Again, WHAT? You're calling the 2004 Lancer EVO a weak car?

sv650s
04-15-2006, 12:25 AM
Again, WHAT? You're calling the 2004 Lancer EVO a weak car?

nope....i'm calling the dodge colt a weak car, don't try to put words in my mouth

das2123
04-15-2006, 09:20 AM
nope....i'm calling the dodge colt a weak car, don't try to put words in my mouthSo then you are saying the Dodge Colt has a 4g63 engine in it? Since that was the engine you suggested for the swap and then said it comes in weak cars.

sv650s
04-15-2006, 05:56 PM
you're the all knowing neon guy...shouldn't you be answetring that question? The vq35 comes in the nissan quest, why does it also come in the skyline? car companies can use the same engine for different applications by just rebuilding it, i'm sure you know that......and if you didn't :shakehead

das2123
04-15-2006, 08:05 PM
you're the all knowing neon guy...shouldn't you be answetring that question? The vq35 comes in the nissan quest, why does it also come in the skyline? car companies can use the same engine for different applications by just rebuilding it, i'm sure you know that......and if you didn't :shakeheadThe 4g63 engine is a Mitsubishi engine not a DODGE/CHRYSLER ENGINE!!!!!!:shakehead Like I said before stick to the Completely off-topic forum, because that is where you took this thread!

sv650s
04-15-2006, 08:22 PM
The 4g63 engine is a Mitsubishi engine not a DODGE/CHRYSLER ENGINE!!!!!!:shakehead Like I said before stick to the Completely off-topic forum, because that is where you took this thread!

um.....they share engines, where the hell do you think they used in the dsms with domestic badges? or the dodges and chryslers with mitsu v6's?

das2123
04-17-2006, 07:48 AM
um.....they share engines, where the hell do you think they used in the dsms with domestic badges? or the dodges and chryslers with mitsu v6's?OMG :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

neon_rt
04-17-2006, 12:29 PM
SV650s,
You are making a fool of yourself, you know just enough to throw some number/letters around but not enough to carry on a conversation. You are a Noob (no offence, just reality), watch and learn.

sv650s
04-18-2006, 03:37 PM
SV650s,
You are making a fool of yourself, you know just enough to throw some number/letters around but not enough to carry on a conversation. You are a Noob (no offence, just reality), watch and learn.

hey i'm just not a pushover....i argue till i find absolute proof that i'm wrong + i get pissed when people tell me i shouldn't be somewhere that i am, i joined the site cos i'm a car guy and i don't need someone telling me to go somewhere else when i wanna be here

das2123
04-19-2006, 08:19 AM
i don't need someone telling me to go somewhere else when i wanna be hereBut you don't know anything about the neon or the engines that are in them :cwm27:

sv650s
04-19-2006, 02:14 PM
But you don't know anything about the neon or the engines that are in them :cwm27:
that's what AF is about? i bet when you joined you didn't know that much about the type of cars you're interested in.....besides i know i don't know shit about neons and stuff, i spent years learning about different types of performance cars......economy cars are boring to me (just drop by here in case someone asks about the srt-4 or something)

neon_rt
04-19-2006, 03:28 PM
If you don't know anything about Neons, why are you thinking you can advise people on the SRT-4? The SRT-4 is a Neon with a performance package. I'll go back to my earlier statement, "watch and learn". None of the Neons ever came with a Mitsu engine. There is no easy way of putting one in. The Mitsu engines typically have the exhaust in front/intake in back or they turn the engine 180 degrees and mount the trans on the other side.. The Neon was designed ... differently. The Stratus however is a different story, Mitsu engines used in the 2-door and Chrysler Engines in the 4-door and Convertible (except for 1st gen V6), but that discussion belongs on the Stratus page.

das2123
04-19-2006, 03:42 PM
that's what AF is about? i bet when you joined you didn't know that much about the type of cars you're interested inWrong, I joined because I saw the mess of information that was being posted in the neon forums. I joined in May of 2005, but have been working on and tuning neons since '97. I don't throw out half-assed info and whatnot, but actually try to help people who have not been working on neons as long as I have or don't have the time to research.

sv650s
04-19-2006, 04:21 PM
Wrong, I joined because I saw the mess of information that was being posted in the neon forums. I joined in May of 2005, but have been working on and tuning neons since '97. I don't throw out half-assed info and whatnot, but actually try to help people who have not been working on neons as long as I have or don't have the time to research.

so you're a neon only guy is what you're saying

das2123
04-20-2006, 07:45 AM
so you're a neon only guy is what you're sayingI know a little about the Dodge Stratus , Chrysler Sebring, and Chevy Beretta, but my main area is the Neon. That's why I usually post in the neon forum. I don't want to look like a fool or give out bad info.

Baker502
02-18-2007, 03:33 PM
you're the all knowing neon guy...shouldn't you be answetring that question? The vq35 comes in the nissan quest, why does it also come in the skyline? car companies can use the same engine for different applications by just rebuilding it, i'm sure you know that......and if you didn't :shakehead

for someone who said they know about nissans. they dont know that mutch. they never put the vq35 in a skyline. the vq35 is a v6, the skyline had a inline 6. and the skyline motor is a sr26. they put the vq35 in the 350z and the quest. i know that and im a honda guy!

Turbodog97
02-18-2007, 11:16 PM
Holy old thread batman

Add your comment to this topic!