Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Back Up Lights / Keyless Entry

lowbud
04-11-2006, 02:33 PM
I have a '97 Jeep Cherokee, 2WD, 4.0, automatic. My back up lights do not work. I have read on the forum that is may be a neutral safety switch. But there is more to it than that. My keyless entry does not work either. I have replaced the batteries and still only works sometimes.

Now here is the funny thing. The other day my keyless entry worked. And so did my back up lights! Just once. Have not since then. I would appreciate any recommendations on where I should investigate fixing this problem. No back up lights can be dangerous.

Thanks for the help!!!

Jeep-King
04-11-2006, 02:38 PM
I don't know about the keyless entry. But my 89 cherokee has odd reverse light as well. They work but when you shift into reverse it often take like 30 seconds for them to go on. I do not mind this too much as the brake light are bright enough to guid me while parking in the dark. This will probably not help you with the keyless entry thing but i would check your wire. especally the once in your revers light housing.

AlohaBra
04-15-2006, 06:06 PM
I have a '97 Jeep Cherokee, 4WD, 4.0, automatic. Has 130,000 miles.
Same problems. Rebuild the Nss for the backup lights, if you don't other problems will occur anyway.
On the remote, I had to put felt spacer pads under the buttons, so they will contact the circuit board better. My remote is 9 years old.

Saudade
04-15-2006, 08:24 PM
Jeep-King: I had the same problem. Took more like 10-15 secs before the backups came on. Cleaned my NSS, and all is well. Seemed like the grease was so old and hard that the spring wasn't strong enough to make a good contact. Took about 45 minutes to do the job.

Lowbud: Do you have more than one transmitter? If so, does it do the same thing with the other? Make sure you clean the battery contacts well. I assume you have a good battery in it. ;)

lowbud
04-22-2006, 10:08 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. Looks like I should take a look at the neutral safety switch. Is there a good repair manual for working on it? '97 Cherokee.

Only one transmitter. I guess I will take that apart also. It was very strange that it started working at the very same time the back up lights did. But now neither have work since that one incident. I did put new batteries in it. Seem to work for about a week before they died, but I will clean the contacts to see if that will help, and try the felt.

Saudade
04-22-2006, 10:25 AM
Here's how to clean your NSS.

http://jeepin.com/features/nss/index.asp

lowbud
04-24-2006, 08:33 PM
Thanks Saudade for the link!

Add your comment to this topic!