Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Fluid Question

chili
04-08-2006, 12:09 AM
Hey all I have a '90 Cherokee 4.0L 4x4 and I am wondering what the CORRECT fluids are for the powersteering and the transmission ? Getting ready to do a little maintenance and I want to get the right stuff.....

Repo_agent
04-08-2006, 10:42 AM
Power steering fluid and transmission fluid.

ATF will be marked big on the tranny fluid. Just read the back of the bottle it will tell you. Dexron Mercon 3 isnt what you want.

Power sterring fluid is basically all the same I would think unless they have synthetic.

nascarmechanic
04-08-2006, 04:35 PM
The transmission takes ATF+3 and it is NOT THE SAME as regular ATF. The fluid is also known as 7176 Chrysler transmission fluid.
The Power steering can be either Dexron 3 transmission fluid or the regular labeled power steering fluid found at your local parts store

JDPascal
04-08-2006, 05:25 PM
Hey all I have a '90 Cherokee 4.0L 4x4 and I am wondering what the CORRECT fluids are for the powersteering and the transmission ?

According to the FSM, the correct fluid for the AW4 automatic transmission is a Dexron II compatible fluid. That could be a Mercon/Dexron III type or use the Mobil1 or amsoil synthetic both are fine for that tranny. The AW4 transmission is the one with the dipstick attached to the side of the pan.

If you have a manual trany, go with a synthetic 75w90 gear oil.

I'm not into Amsoil or anything but their website has a fluid selector guide for any vehicle.....http://www.amsoil.com/scripts/runisa.dll?amsoiloaf:index

Their ATF recommend is their product which is good for any vehicle:uhoh: so It won't be specific enough if you use a non synthetic ATF

The fluid used for the power steering is power steering fluid According to the FSM. Dont mix ATF in the power steering (unless you are stuck).

Just use a turkey baster to suck out all you can and top it up. do this for about 3 weekends in a row and you'll be fine. Don't undo steering lines or you'll have no end of trouble with air in the system. Even an experienced person can pull their hair out over that kind of trouble.....:eek:

JD

Ray H
04-08-2006, 05:32 PM
As stated above, ihe proper fluid for the AW4 is Mercon/Dexron III, not ATF 3. The ATF 3 is used in Chrysler auto trannies but the AW4 is not a Chrysler tranny, its a Japanese tranny.

sklater
04-09-2006, 01:26 AM
also, you might want to go to the dealer where they can look up your vin to verify what fluid to use. I was told to use a mopar atf+3 for my tranny, but when I went to the dealer they looked it up and found i needed a dexron 3 instead. Hopefully it helps.

Add your comment to this topic!