Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

94 Grand Cherokee V8 fuel problem

rev-ed
04-07-2006, 12:34 PM
Long story short,yea right, got a hole in the fuel tank and found a replacement at junk yard. Steam cleaned all the dirt inside and out of new tank and replaced, no problem. Ran great for a day, then lost fuel pressure. Thought maybe got a little dirt in line while changing out tanks so I replaced fuel filter. Ran great for a day, then wouldn't start. Figured all right, all this moving and installing pump from tank maybe caused a failure in pump. Replaced pump ran great for a couple days, then refused to start. Thought maybe the wire connection in the wire harness was damaged where fuel pump pigtail plugs into wire harness since this is the only connection I messed with. I cut out the plug in and wired direct, making sure the right wires were matched. Next try found that it might start 1 out of 10 tries. When it starts on it own, runs great, has great fuel pressure at the rail. When it doesn't there is none there. It will run if you pour gas into the throttle body, so this is a fuel issue, most likely coupled with a wiring one. This problem only started after the tank exchange. I have even tried running a jumper wire from the pump harness to the inside of car under the rear passenger seat to where the harness comes to the interior figuring this is far enough back from where I had messed with the harness in case there is a broken wire in the harness that I am not seeing. Still no fuel pressure. I did check this pump before installing in the tank. But I am at a loss. I have recently run into another fellow with simalar problems, so if there is a veteran fuel problem warrior out there, please lets hear some input. Thanks in advance. Rev Ed

Repo_agent
04-08-2006, 10:48 AM
I had a fuel problem on my 98. While diagnosing that I overlooked another problem which got me very frustrated. After replacing pump it wouldnt start. I took pump out and made sure I put back in right and it started and ran about 2 blocks then died. After messing with it another day I hooked it up to a Snap On scanner and realized the TPS was bad. The bad TPS gave me reasons to believe my new fuel pump was bad.

Add your comment to this topic!