Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

heater blower stays running with motor off

skyjack
04-03-2006, 06:44 PM
i have a 2005 grandprix and when i shut the car off the haeter blower motor keeps running , i have to disconnect the battery cable anybody have any ideas thx.

BNaylor
04-03-2006, 06:56 PM
2005 with this problem? You'd figure that problem would be history with the '04 and up models. I guess not.

Anyways, you have a blower motor control module which is like the old blower motor resistor in the '97 - '03 models. There is an open or short in the matrix that controls the fan speeds which causes the blower motor hi-speed relay to stay energized even with the car off because the 12v at one side of is always present from the battery. Replace the module and you should fix your problem.

skyjack
04-03-2006, 07:05 PM
where is the module and is it hard to change on the 3800? thx a lot

BNaylor
04-03-2006, 07:11 PM
where is the module and is it hard to change on the 3800? thx a lot

Hopefully someone with a 04 and up weighs in that has had the problem. I recall only one other '04 owner having a similar problem. But the older GPs had it next to the blower motor assembly. You have to remove the kickpanel on the passenger side of the dashboard.

Do you have any bumper to bumper warranty left?

The AC Delco part number is 15-80464. Blower Motor Control Module.

skyjack
04-03-2006, 07:13 PM
sry but no

BNaylor
04-03-2006, 07:54 PM
sry but no

Sorry to hear that. Another suggestion for the interim so you don't have to disconnect the battery and have it run down is look for a fuse that may be marked HVAC HI. Should be in the instrument panel fusebox located at right side of the dash.

When pulled it should drop the battery power to that relay I mentioned but all other blower speeds should be OK.

richtazz
04-04-2006, 07:58 AM
The blower module is still mounted in the heater box next to the blower motor on a 2005 model. The part number has changed, the newest number is 15-80464 (gm part # 89018653), dealer retail is $66.24. We sell it for $33.12.

skyjack
04-07-2006, 07:32 PM
replaced module fixed problem nothing else to say but you are the man bnaylor3400 thank you

Langning
04-07-2006, 10:45 PM
i have a 2005 grandprix and when i shut the car off the haeter blower motor keeps running , i have to disconnect the battery cable anybody have any ideas thx.

An 05 GP should still be under warranty. Why can't you bring in your car and let Pontiac dealership solve it?

jessep28
04-08-2006, 12:18 AM
Maybe it was an 05' model fleet car bought in 04' with a lot of miles or they did something to void warranty?

BNaylor
04-08-2006, 12:51 AM
Maybe it was an 05' model fleet car bought in 04' with a lot of miles or they did something to void warranty?

Thats probably the case. I asked him earlier if he had any warranty and his reply was no. I've seen 1 year old rental cars with 30K miles on the odometer. So it won't take much use to get it out of the initial bumper to bumper warranty which is 3 years or 36K miles, whichever comes first on a '05 Grand Prix.

What surprised me the most was the '04 and up GPs still having blower problems like on our '97 - '03 models. I guess some things never change. At least its resolved.

guido833
02-08-2008, 10:56 AM
I have a 2005 Gran Prix GT, How do I remove the blower module and what tools do I need as it dosen't look like regular bolts holding it in.

BNaylor
02-08-2008, 11:04 AM
I have a 2005 Gran Prix GT, How do I remove the blower module and what tools do I need as it dosen't look like regular bolts holding it in.

Welcome to AF.

Sorry but we have a policy not to resurrect old threads so please start a new post. This thread has been closed. You can follow the guidelines below.

POSTING IN CLOSED OR OUTDATED THREADS:
If a thread has been closed, there is probably a logical reason for it. If you feel that the reason(s) for closure of the original thread are unjustified or wish further clarification feel free to contact any member of the moderating team. However, do not start a new thread about another closed thread.

Please avoid posting or voting in outdated threads. It merely clutters up the message board and makes it more difficult for fellow members to sort through the vast amount of information contained on the boards. If you have new and important information to add regarding a past discussion, feel free to start a new thread and if need be, add a link to the original thread.

Add your comment to this topic!