Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

electric cooling fan wont come on 4.0L

Repo_agent
03-30-2006, 09:31 PM
Electric cooling fan on my 2001 Cherokee wont come on when air condition is turned on and I dont think it comes on by the temp control switch.
Checked fuses,relay and fan motor all are good.
Also I am getting a AUXILARY FAN CKT PROBLEM (open or short) code with the check engine light.

Any ideas?

dave92cherokee
03-31-2006, 07:58 AM
Try connecting the fan directly to the battery to make sure that it still works after you reconnected it to the wire harness the way it is supposed to be. If it kicks on then that tells you that the fan is good, in which case drive the jeep for a little while to let the engine get to normal running temp and then park it with the engine running and pop the hood and turn the heater on in the windshield defrost position at max power and see if the fan kicks on. If it does then it's operating properly, if it doesn't kick on after a few minutes then unplug it from the harness and connect a volt meter to the harness for a few minutes and see if it's sending the voltage to the fan that's needed as it might be a problem in the wiring somewhere.

Repo_agent
03-31-2006, 04:49 PM
Already did all the basics. That is why I said the motor is good. Im looking for a more in depth diagnosis like why the pcm isnt turning the fan on.

nick0750
04-08-2006, 08:25 AM
cooling fan relay 4608094 mounted in power distibution center

Repo_agent
04-08-2006, 10:35 AM
In the original post I mentioned that the relay was good.

Raimundo
04-08-2006, 11:10 PM
Electric cooling fan on my 2001 Cherokee wont come on when air condition is turned on and I dont think it comes on by the temp control switch.
Checked fuses,relay and fan motor all are good.
Also I am getting a AUXILARY FAN CKT PROBLEM (open or short) code with the check engine light.

Any ideas?
Clean all connectors. If still does not work, check the presure on the a/c.Do you realy feel cold air when you turn it on?

Dale Aeppli
04-09-2006, 06:02 PM
check switch on thermostat housing its in fan circuit Dale

hardparts
04-10-2006, 11:02 PM
relay, oem 4848879AA
http://www.smpcorp.com/web_app/catalog/images/RY438.jpg

coolant temp or pcm

Add your comment to this topic!