Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Next step

misfitXJ_97
03-29-2006, 08:46 AM
I got my Cherokee lifted and I got some engine work and driveline work done so its pretty set up. Now i need to work on what to do next i dont know if I should get a rear bumper with tire carrier or a front bumper and winch or get all the skid plates I need.

fredjacksonsan
03-29-2006, 09:59 AM
Skid plates. Bumpers won't help you if you've just destroyed something underneath while offroading.

misfitXJ_97
03-29-2006, 01:15 PM
Thats what im thinkin although its up high enough that it doesnt really need the skids. Its been to a tough offroad park and did better than I thought and it was all the hard stuff. Although it does need to get rocker guards. Plus if anyone can help I am tryin to find a rear bumper with tire carrier for a good price if you got suggestions, I am thinking about a warn rear bumper.

Ray H
03-29-2006, 01:34 PM
It really depends on personal preference and where and how you plan to use it, but my vote goes in this order. If youve already got the lift on then (for me a lift goes in right after skid plates but youve already got that), tow points, skid plates, winch, locker or limited slip, regearing, then bumpers and tire carrier. The list can get muddled some when you start looking at bumpers because with them you can kill two or three birds with one stone, ie: a winch bumper with tow points or a rear bumper with tow points and carrier. Be prepared to spend around $1400 or a decent front and rear bumper, unless you can do your own fabrication. I chose to keep much of that $1400 in my pocket (actually most went to regearing) and go with a rear receiver hitch and this http://www.detoursusa.com/images/xjbackbone05.jpg
on the front.

Ray H
03-29-2006, 01:39 PM
Thats what im thinkin although its up high enough that it doesnt really need the skids. Its been to a tough offroad park and did better than I thought and it was all the hard stuff. Although it does need to get rocker guards. Plus if anyone can help I am tryin to find a rear bumper with tire carrier for a good price if you got suggestions, I am thinking about a warn rear bumper.

It only takes one mistake to realize the benefit of skid plates. You will make mistakes and things will go wrong. Its worth it to prepare for that.

Repo_agent
03-29-2006, 07:18 PM
Looks like someone needs to check out ebay. Rock bumpers, winch bumpers, rock gaurds etc. All at great prices.

misfitXJ_97
03-29-2006, 09:22 PM
Ok so I am starting to think that I should just fess up and buy the skids but im not sure what all ones i should get I know that I am going to need that t-case skid and probably the gas tank skid but do i really need to go with the engie and tranny skid I see it helping but i dont know if I will really need it once i get my rock sliders which are the next install I know that for a fact. Also like someone said mistakes happen and i dont have anywhere to carry a full size spare let alone a smaller tire that came off of it, that is why I am thinking I need the bumper

dave92cherokee
03-29-2006, 11:26 PM
First off a skid plate is like a gun, better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. Get all the plates for the engine, tranny, tranfer case, control arms, and gas tank. As far as carrying a spare you have 2 options I'm not sure about the 97's but I know the 92's had an optional bumper that allows spare tire to be carried behind the rear liftgate on a swinging arm. You can either get that or replace the luggage rack with a wilderness rack which gives you places to mount full size spare, hi-lift jack, and all sorts of other stuff that would be needed when going off road. As for a front bumper check this one out it costs a pretty penny but is well worth it I know a few guys that have them installed and they wouldn't trust anything else.

http://www.rocky-road.com/xjbullbar.html

Ray H
03-30-2006, 01:42 AM
The most vulnerable parts are your t-case fuel tank and lower control arm mounts.
It really comes down to how and where you off road. You can get by with minimal skids if you dont do rocks but as soon as you climb onto the rocks, the ante goes up. Rocks arent as forgiving as logs, stumps or dirt. An oil pan or aluminum t-case can hold up fairly well to these things but they will not hold up to rock. Same thing goes for the control arm mounts.

Add your comment to this topic!