Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Newbie wants a car....

BlkBltJames
08-12-2001, 08:48 PM
:confused:

Ok, My names is James, and i have a 93 Pontiac Sunbird. Well the poor thing is just about give out. So I am looking into buying a new car. It doesnt have to be a "carlot" kinda new, just "new to me" kinda new. Now, I am not what you would call, a "car enthusiast." YET. This may seem like a REALLY STUPID reason to get into cars, but it did. Last week i watched Gone in 60 Seconds, and this weekend i watched The Fast and the Furious. Now i know a bunch of you die-hard fans would probably rather run someone like me over, but it has brought me into the great world of cars.
So now, I am looking into buy and modifying a sweet little jewel of my own. But I know what some of ya'll are thinking, "this loser wants to all of a sudden buy into a car and not care anything about it or learn anything either." Well, that's not the case. I am doing my homework. Trust me. I am looking for a car that already has some power to it. Much like the new Toyota Celica. But also has a great look. I am just starting out learning about what kind of cars do what and what they look like, and what kinds are great buys, so please offer any information you can about car buying. I not looking into any kind of old muscle car of anything like that.
I am also interested in the Honda Civics.
Thank you for you time and please relay any info you can about first time buing tips and stuff like that.
-James

Chris
09-05-2001, 03:43 PM
If you get a Civic, get a previous generation, teh new ones suck for driving.

THe Celica is good, in GT-S mode because of Variable Valve timing. How about a Camaro/Firebird/Mustang, they are hella fast.
Just shop around, and ask some high-performance shops what are good. VW's offer good fun, for a price. This year they are getting more powerful and extra gears for the manual and automatic.

May I suggest driving a

WRX

from Subaru. They are absolutely amazing. 0-60 in 5.6 seconds. Just get a body kit, a bigger turbo and intercooler, and bam!, Awesome.

Anything else you want to know, ANYTHING, just ask here.

Chris
09-05-2001, 03:52 PM
May I suggest an 1990-96 300Z from Nissan. The turbo'd ones have 300hp, and are pretty cheap. Stillen can make yours into a 700hp monster, or anything in between, too.

more to come....

Cavallino
09-18-2001, 01:17 AM
In all honesty if you're looking for somthing fast and furious id steer away from Civics. I hate to say it because im a hardcore civic fan. Crashed one into a blazer, flipped it, went out and bought another but thats aidffertn story. Civics take alot of work to make them fast. This includes getting rid of the civic engine and putting in somthing a little bigger complete with dual overhead cams (cause you're gonna need em for the big turbo you'll need) SO if you are looking at a civic then id suggest going for an older one that you dont pay alot for because the engine will go anyway. Whatever you do DO NOT place clear tail lights on it or put a big H decal on your rear windshield. They look tacky.

Chris
09-18-2001, 11:08 AM
I have seen Civics with 50 grand put into them. Underneath it all, its still a civic, not a ferrari, not a vettte, not a porsche, a CIVIC, which was built for old people of poor young people. Thats my opinion.

For that much, get a vette, firebird, mustang, camaro, RX-7 (its japanease).

Oh, Ooh, how about a dodge stealth, get a good used one. They have 320 twin-turbocharged horsepower, 4 wheel drive, 4 wheel steering, and they are awesome. Check one of them out.

gang$tarr
09-19-2001, 03:00 PM
may i suggest a Acura RSX type-S, 200hp, i-vtec, 6-speed!!, standard leather, heated seats, bose system with 6-CD changer <--- all stock

just a suggestion but that's what i'd go for... it's a really good start for modding and it's not all played out yet, not many people have them

Chris
09-20-2001, 12:00 PM
Some REALLY good advice: Start with something that was designed for sporty driving from the get go. Civics werent. An RSX was. A stealth was. A SE-R was.

If you find a car you like, just ask us for our opinion:)

enginerd
10-01-2001, 02:12 PM
Buy something you can pay cash money for.

Chris
10-02-2001, 11:42 AM
Buy something you can pay cash money for.

What other kind of cash is there?? cash BALONEY?? Cash TABLES??? I'm just jokin, bu tit is kinda funny.

Or an after 1992 RX7 with the Turbo.

Polygon
10-23-2001, 01:03 PM
I happened to like those two movies so I am not going to razz ya'.

Anyhow I think that most of the cars listed already are great cars to tart with.

The Subaru WRX, now I like Mopars and they used to turbo charge their smaller engine cars. They don't at all anymore, which is stupid, to me anyhow. I feel it should be an option. I have to praise Subaru for putting a turbo on the WRX. Though I am not a big fan of the looks of this car.

The Dodge Stealth, I love mine. It puts out 350HP and close to 400ftlbs.
Good looking car with great handling. Fast too.

Nissan Fair Lady, here is another fun twin turbo car to drive.

Toyota Supra, once again twin turbo fun. I think you can tell, I like turbos.

The Acura NSX, off the lot this a pretty quick little car. I like the styling. One even gave my LeBaron a run for the money when it was stock. Not anymore though.

Or maybey you could rebuild yourself a late 60's early 70's muscle car.

Chris
10-23-2001, 01:14 PM
What mods does your stealth have??

Polygon
10-23-2001, 01:18 PM
I put an entire new intake on it. Replaced the entire exaust, which was more for the fact the old one was rusting, Centerforce clutch, replaced the turbos, among some cosmetic changes.

I am looking for a chip for it but it is proving difficult. There are some other mods that I want to put on it, but cash is a wee bit low.

gang$tarr
10-23-2001, 03:40 PM
lol, have you seen the seinfeld when george gets tricked into buying a LeBaron?? cause he thought that John Voight owned it.. haha

Chris
10-24-2001, 11:08 AM
Dont forget the one where Jerry cant give his (stinky) BMW away, and a bum ends up getting it! That is priceless:D

Polygon
10-24-2001, 01:02 PM
Or when Jerry's mechanic steals his Saab because Jerry is "misstreating it." Ah, priceless.

gang$tarr
10-24-2001, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by Polygon
Or when Jerry's mechanic steals his Saab because Jerry is "misstreating it." Ah, priceless.

ahahaha LOL!! :D the Saab 900

it was puddy that stole it right?

joshmel1
11-07-2001, 12:36 AM
First of all, How much do you want to spend? Are you willing to finance, or pay cash? How many doors?, There are a lot of questions, that you have to figure out first. There are a lot of great cars out there to start with. If you like honda's think about buying an older one, and having a B18c(Integra GSR engine) swapped into it. You will have a great starting point, and a good deal more HP from the get go. If you want to buy new, the WRX is what I am buying, and it is a great car to drive. I have a VW VR6 GLS Jetta right now, and it just is not very reliable.(I do not recommend VW at all) There are a ton of cars out there taht might fit what you want, but that is up to you. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Josh:cool:

LjasonL
12-17-2001, 11:09 PM
look at subaru! my impreza was $18000, and will beat the shit out of any stock civic, at least any stock civic sold in the us. as far as i know it will beat any new car in its price range and beat it badly! for $25000 u could get the wrx, but as it worked out thats almost $200 a month more, so i got the cheaper one now the extra $200 a month goes to modifications instead of simply owning the car, so we will see who is faster in the end, heh heh. dont have the money for a new car? try to find an older impreza, good luck though i tried myself. i know some people dont like the styling, but i have recieved many compliments on mine, 10 or 15 random people have walked up to me at gas stations, parking lots, etc telling me they love my car, and its not like i have a body kit or paintjob or anything they are complimenting the (nearly) stock looks. it took 1st place for modified car at a local car show i went to, mainly due to uniqueness and the fact that it just looks nice! also a little hint, go for the wagon, thats what i got, more unique gets more attention gets more compliments, plus its fun as hell beating little bodykitted cars in a station wagon!

Chris
12-18-2001, 11:36 AM
go for the wagon, thats what i got, more unique gets more attention gets more compliments, plus its fun as hell beating little bodykitted cars in a station wagon!

Another wagon fan:ylsuper

Although I would get the WRX. It already has a turbo and intercooler, lower compression pistons (try and put a ton of boost on your high-comp car, and see it go boom), a great wheel, seats, pedals. Its suspension is COMPLETELY different, with different (albeit kinda crappy) wheels and tires. It also has a different, stronger drivetrain and a different, better tranny.
So you spend 8000 and a lot of time getting the stock subbie up to WRX levels, (with many parts still sub-par),when you could have done 1000 to the WRX for more boost and basic breathing enhancements, and all of a sudden its a 320hp WRX!

My $.02

Add your comment to this topic!