Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Which is the better choice? Replace or repair?

zachzchw
03-25-2006, 08:17 PM
I am having the sagging door problem, and the hole for the pin is egg shaped, so I cant fix it by simply replacing the bushings, as shown in the thread about the same topic.
A few shops have told me I have two main options:
1. replace both hinges on the drivers side door
2. have the pin hole drilled out to a larger size, and a larger pin set put in.

Noone was able to give me a concrete price on the entire hinge replacement, (any idea on a what a decent price would be?) but for the second option (drilling the holes and replacing the pins) I was quoted $175.

Which would be my better choice?

DINO55
03-25-2006, 08:26 PM
What year is your Blazer?

OverBoardProject
03-25-2006, 08:32 PM
I didn't tkke pic's when I did mine, but my drivers door was really bad. The top hinge had even been 1/2 ripped from the door. While I was getting the hinge welded back on he filled the egg shaped holes with weld, and drilled them out to the right size. Worked good

I sandblasted everything clean first and then the job only took him a few min and I think that I paid about $10.00 canadian.

It's nice having friends like mine. (I help him out a lot as well)

Verto
03-25-2006, 08:41 PM
could just do it urself, unhook the door wiring and take the door off, get a a few pin kits and drill the hole out so they are larger and round. shouldnt be a complicated task

zachzchw
03-25-2006, 09:53 PM
could just do it urself, unhook the door wiring and take the door off, get a a few pin kits and drill the hole out so they are larger and round. shouldnt be a complicated task

Its a 1997.
Im not exceptionally skilled at stuff like this.....If its not too much, Id rather pay to have it done, and know that its being done right.

Overboard project, any idea how much something like that would run at a body shop? Or would I be better off going to a welding shop to have it done?

OverBoardProject
03-25-2006, 10:06 PM
There are so many choices for welding small jobs like that.

If you've got any friends with a wire feed welder get your friend to do it.

My second choice would ask if there's any members in your area that can weld on the off topic thread
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=664

My third choice would be a welder, forth choice a mechanic and the final choice would be a body shop.
A body shop would charge you the most, although they would do the nicest job. But you'll never see it when they're done.

It's an easy job, so I really don't think that you'll have any troubles getting someone to do it.

Good Luck

Add your comment to this topic!