Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2000 Jeep Cherokee, no brake lights.

friday120160
03-15-2006, 06:31 AM
I have been through the last 50 pages here at the Jeep Cherokee forum and can't find an answer.

I have no brake lights except for the third light which is mounted above the tailgate window. The only suggestions that I have found is that it's a bad brake switch that operates the lights when you press the pedal. But it can't be that because the third still works.

I have checked the fuses behind the passenger side kick panel, pulled them all and all are fine. I can't even find any brake fuse, circuit breaker or relay listed anyplace on the Jeep, in the engine compartment fuse block or in this forum.

The bulbs are fine and test ok. Anybody have any ideas? Is there a rear light control module in the 2000?

Again, thank you,
Friday

wwwildman
03-15-2006, 06:33 PM
Check fuse #22 in the Power distribution center. It should control the brakes.

The problem could be the fuse (but then the 3rd brake light wouldn't work), a loose/broken wire, or a bad ground. Check if the tail lights also work. Check for power at the White & Tan wire at the lights with the brake pedal pushed down. You should have voltage here. If not look for a corroded bulb socket, broken WH/TN wire leading to the lights or a bad ground.

friday120160
03-16-2006, 02:43 AM
Thank you for your time and suggestions. But my bulbs were burnt out...both of them! :banghead: I did check them two days ago, looked good but they weren't. :screwy:

All this stress and panic for nothing not to mention I had the jeep turned inside out looking for the cause.

As the acronym says: KISS = Keep It Simple Stupid! :2cents:

-Friday

Add your comment to this topic!