Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

acorns in air filter housing

solidg
03-11-2006, 11:59 PM
2000 toyota camry le v6 with 93k miles

I changed my air filter today and I saw acorns in the bottom of the housing.
How did those acorns get in there?

RIP
03-12-2006, 12:59 AM
Best guess? Chip n Dale may have found a new home. See any droppings? There's a duct off the bottom of the air cleaner assembly that either runs forward under the battery or out to the fender well. It's the air source for the air intake system you never see. You would think there would be some kind of a screen in it to keep critters out. Less likely, they are getting kicked up off the road and thrown in the duct.

solidg
03-12-2006, 11:27 AM
no dropping but
there was grey hair/fur in there too
i think i had a squirrel in there

ice745
03-12-2006, 11:18 PM
good thing you didn't suck him up into the engine....or did you? lol jkjk, I know it's not possible. On my '94 Camry, I had the same problem. I bought it used and when I checked the air filter, the box had a lot of acorns and acorn shells in it. I shop vac'd it out, and had a pile on the ground after I emptied it out. Next time I'll make him pay rent. Maybe it is a good idea to try to put a screen on there. Because I would hate to have it be a little guy, cuz he may get forced against the air-filter and may then make holes and/or bleed into my engine, and then I'll hate squirrels for life. It'd have to be one that barely restricted air-flow...the screen I mean, not the squirrel.

fulgazey
03-16-2006, 06:14 PM
I have had it too. Don't feel alone. If your car sat for awhile in some spot very likely situation.

InstallTech
03-16-2006, 09:26 PM
I ended up with mice in my old Honda after it sat for about 6 months. They made a "nice" bed out of the firewall material in my glovebox. *ack*

BlueFusion6851
03-17-2006, 04:01 PM
One of my friends had a squirrel/vole of some sort crawl in between her firewall and the cabin and died. Grossest thing ever.

Add your comment to this topic!