Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Oil leak in the strange place

JOE58
03-09-2006, 08:29 AM
Just got 02 Grand Cherokee,6 cyl, 36000 miles. Noticed oil leak from looks like end of rubber hose which is clipped to the front shock absorber stem on the driver side. At the end of the hose is plastic piece and area around is all cover with oil. Any suggestions?
Regards,
Joe

XJAce
03-09-2006, 08:36 AM
Its probably a brake line leaking. Stupid stuff really.:grinno: Just the rubber hose has probably worn out and developed a leak. Probably just a cheap piece to fix. Just make sure you bleed out the brakes to avoid any air in the line.

JOE58
03-09-2006, 11:22 AM
Brake lines around the shock absorber stem are all made of steel and not leaking. I did check where other end of the rubber hose is connected and looks like is coming from the side of the front differential housing. Could this be some type of filler hose for differential oil and can oil be pushed out when differential is overfilled?
I did have differential oil changed when I got the Jeep two weeks ago.
Joe

XJAce
03-09-2006, 03:11 PM
Yeah that is a vent hose for the front differential but i dunno why its in your wheel-well. In my 95' its up by the brake booster, and I have seen them up by the radiators. My 96' Explorer did the same thing, it would leak this gunk all over the frame rail extending up to the radiator core support. Your best bet might be that its just leaking. Did you change the differential oil yourself or did you have a mechanic do it? There is always the possibility of it being overfilled. Just let it go and re-route that vent hose and zip-tie it up. Make sure you keep an eye on the fluid level, or better yet. Take the filler plug out when your Jeep is on a level surface and if oil leaks out then let it leak out until it stops considerably. That would be all the excess oil in the differential and letting it leak out until it stops would put the oil at the correct level. Good Luck!

Add your comment to this topic!