Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1996 Jeep Cherokee squeaks while turning

joe8918
03-06-2006, 11:40 AM
I have a 1996 Jeep Cherokee 4x4 60,000 miles on it and has been well maintained. I noticed a small squeak when turning recently at either direction at pretty much any speed espeically ~10-15mph when rounding corners. Other than turning there is no other noises. It's quiet when going straight. I'm thinking U-Joints. The brakes need to be replaced but the tang on the pads shouldn't rub on the rotor during turns, right? The sound is at an interval that sounds like the tang is hitting but I doubt that's it. Any opinions are appreciated.

Saudade
03-06-2006, 02:06 PM
Is it a continuous squeak or a squeak-squeak-squeak kinda thing? Does it change if you brake while turning?

Nothing but pad materal should touch the rotors. Some pads have a wear indicator (small metal plate that touches the rotor) to alert you that the pads need changing. Not sure if this is the "tang" you're referring to.

joe8918
03-07-2006, 06:32 AM
It is a squeak-squeak-squeak noise. It's not conitinuous. Yes, the tang is the wear indicator. I don't recall if the noise would stop (or get louder) if I applied my brakes. I did not drive it yesterday...I'll have to check that out? Anything else?

Ray H
03-07-2006, 08:32 AM
It is a squeak-squeak-squeak noise. It's not conitinuous. Yes, the tang is the wear indicator. I don't recall if the noise would stop (or get louder) if I applied my brakes. I did not drive it yesterday...I'll have to check that out? Anything else?

Do a simple little test. Do a turn that consistantly makes the sound, like turning into your driveway, and duplicate the turn while applying a little brake pressure, really not much more than just resting your foot on the pedal. If its a brake squeak, it will either not do it or will sound different. If its something besides the brakes, like a ujoint, unihub, or ball joint, the squeak should remain the same.
I'll bet with just a little brake pressure, the noise goes away.

Saudade
03-07-2006, 07:58 PM
Without hearing it myself, based on what you've said so far, I'd guess it's the wear indicator. You could try bendig them back out a bit, creating a larger gap. If the noise goes away, then you know they caused it. If this is the cause, please don't wait too long to change the pads. Once the metal backing plates hit the rotor, the rotor will likely be trashed.

Add your comment to this topic!