Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Really dumb question...

netsukekoi
03-04-2006, 06:59 AM
Have played with cars over the years but this 93 Cherokee is my 1st Jeep.

Tried it offroad a couple of weeks ago and was great - but all that protection underneath is a nightmare.

How do I get to the engine coolant drain plug? (The sump guard works but blocks access to just about everything)

How do I get to the oil filter to change it? (That rubber apron thingy across the bottom is in the way and does not look removable)

Am I being really stupid or is it difficult to get to anything on the lower half of the block?

Thanks, Martin :disappoin

dave92cherokee
03-04-2006, 09:12 AM
If it's a 93 cherokee inline 6 then the oil filter should be accessible from the top on the passenger side of the engine as they have an oil filter relocation piece that angles it upward for top removal instead of bottom. For the coolant drain plug if it's like mine then the intake and exhaust manifold's will have to be removed to access it but then you still have the problem of removing the plug. Depending on what you are wanting to do that requires draining the coolant it would probably be easier to disconnect the lower rad. hose from the water pump and drain it that way. If you are wanting to just drain the coolant and fill it with new coolant then I recommend getting a coolant system flush kit and coolant system cleaner from the local auto parts store and put the cleaner in first and run it for a while like it says to remove any deposits in the system and then use the flush kit to completely flush the entire system out. But other than that there's not really much reason to need access to the coolant drain plug the same can be accomplished by pulling the lower rad. hose and water pump. I did it on mine when I had to pull the head and replace a piston and had no problems from coolant at all.

netsukekoi
03-04-2006, 09:26 AM
OK - Oil filter from the top - duh! I said it was a dumb question. Thanks.

Yep - the reason I want to get to the coolant drain is because the current coolant looks like brown treacle or sludge rather than water and antifreeze. Have a bottle of radflush, so wanted to drain, flush with clean water, fill and add radflush, run and then drain, flush and refill.

Will the bottom hose drain the block? If so I am probably OK but I thought the coolant plug on the block was the lowest point.

Thanks, Martin :)

dave92cherokee
03-04-2006, 03:46 PM
Removing the lower rad hose will not drain the entire block but it will drain most of it and the entire radiator. If you go to the auto parts store they have a flush kit that has a T adapter that you put inline with the heater hose and a filler neck that you put into the top of the radiator. Just connect a short piece of garden hose to the T adapter and connect the water hose to the filler neck and follow the directions to flush it. I did that with my 92 and it flushed the entire system until it was just clear clean water coming out of the short piece of hose. Then remove the lower rad. hose and let as much drain out as possible and then top the system off with undiluted antifreeze as it will mix with the little bit of water left in the block and give you a final ratio of about 85% antifreeze 15% water which unless you live where it's extremely cold will take care of it.

Saudade
03-04-2006, 06:07 PM
The apron thingy is a splash shield. It does come off. There's a few plastic "buttons" on the front that press into holes in the cross member. You can gently pry these out. Then there are a few bolts scattered around the sides. Just look around the perimeter of the shield.

Add your comment to this topic!