Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1989 Jeep Cherokee Hard or no start in rain

Jeep-King
02-26-2006, 01:17 AM
I have a 1989 jeep cheokee pioneer. it have the 4.0 L inline 6. I am baffled as to why my jeep has an extremaly difficult time starting on rainy days. some time it takes 15 minutes or more for me to finally get it started, if it starts at all. i can't figure out what it is because i know that i have a new roter and cap, a new coil, and new spark plug wires, all of witch have less that 10 thousand miles on them. i replaced all of these items before figuring out that my crankshaft senser was to blame for my car not starting a little while ago. but now i have a nother problem where it wont start whenever it is wet outside. if anyone has any tips please let me know i dont know what else could cause this.

ps. It is receving plenty of gas. And once it finally does start it misfires like crazy when you first press the gas pedal while it is idling.

Jeepme
02-26-2006, 08:06 AM
I would start by lightly spraying water on the plug wires, dist. cap, coil, ect, one at a time with a spray bottle. Try this on a dry day when it will start normally. If you do one item at a time, when you wet the part that is giving you the problem, it will cause the no start failure that you see in wet weather. If none of these cause a problem, try spraying various electric connections under the hood. Water has to be making some part of the ignition system fail during wet weather. If you do this at night, sometimes you can actually see the sparks jump from the problem component.

Add your comment to this topic!