Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Removing carbon deposits inside intake manifold

dave92cherokee
02-23-2006, 11:11 PM
I have a 92 cherokee sport inline 6 4.0 and I'm going to be doing some work to it to gain a smooth idle. I'm going to be replacing the fuel filter and possibly the fuel pump and pressure regulator to start with but when I was doing some work previously on the engine and had the intake manifold removed I noticed that there was about 1/16" of carbon built up inside all the ports. I have read on here talk about top end fuel injection cleaning for about $75 which would clean the injectors but I was wondering will this also remove all the carbon that is built up inside the intake manifold. If it won't then does anyone know of anyway that will remove all the carbon build-up in it? Thanks for the help.

sector95
03-01-2006, 08:59 PM
Best thing to do would be to check in with a few local shops and see what is offered and what the service covers. Some shops call the service "intake track cleaning" and this will include decarbonizing the intake track as well as cleaining the injectors. On the throttle body is an idle air control (IAC) valve that controls the engine idle; it is a servomotor or stepper motor and is under the control of the engine management computer. There is actually a bypass air channel integral with the throttle body and the IAC controls the amount of air bypassing the closed throttle blade based on various conditions (headlights/electrical load; A/C compressor; cold start warmup). That channel and the pintle of the IAC get gummed/carboned up and can cause a rough idle also.....

mike

Add your comment to this topic!