Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Bought a 93 XJ

mike01166
02-21-2006, 09:50 PM
Im 16, was looking for my 1st vehicle, I knew I wanted an offroad vehicle, prefferably a jeep, and I found one.

93' XJ
5 Speed
I6 4.0L
Interior is mint.
240,000 miles , but you cant kill a jeep with a I6 4.0
Really rusty rocker panels.

Original Price, 1000. I talked the guy down to 700.

Only Major problem is that the shock absorber is like rotted off the frame or wherever its connected, but we are going to a jeep junkyard to get the peice tomorrow.

After we take care of the RF suspension, rocker panels, and small hole in floor pans, then we are gonna sand the whole thing and redo the whole exteior with paint and fender flares and the works.

After that I am gonna put a lift kit and bigger tires and go from there.

Ill have pictures up tomorrow. It feels so rewarding to work hard at a job then finnaly own my own vehicle. Hopefully everything will work out well with it.

Any sites for jeep parts such as rocker panels, lift kits , ect?
I know of a few sites like rustys offroad and quadratech.

dave92cherokee
02-22-2006, 03:21 AM
Yah here's a link to the site I order parts from.

http://www.rocky-road.com/cherokee.html

They've got most of what you'll need for lifting it, bushwhacker flares, new front bull bars, winches, and other little goodies.

mike01166
02-22-2006, 03:33 PM
http://img379.imageshack.us/img379/9138/hpim0249medium1te.jpg

need new rocker panels, how much do they cost and where could i get them?

I am going to be removing all the plastic things off the exterior, sanding it down, and having it painted dark black. get the windows tinted, 3 inch lift. Also, how much do 31" tires cost roughly?

Saudade
02-22-2006, 03:59 PM
Here's one place:

http://www.jeeppartspro.com/shopping/index.php?cat=43&year=1993&make=JEEP&model=CHEROKEE

Probem is, you can't really tell how much more rust/rot you have until you cut the old rockers out.

mike01166
02-22-2006, 04:14 PM
we had it up on the lift and we could see all the rot

dave92cherokee
02-23-2006, 01:22 AM
Yah that whole piece will have to be cut out and replaced. You have 2 options 1 is to get the rocker panels like Saudade linked you to or if you know someone who knows how to do mig or tig welding and has the equipment to do it then get some sheet metal and grind the paint off to see how far back the rust goes and cut past the rust about an inch and bend the new sheet metal into shape and weld it in place. It's very hard to do it that way so for ease and simplicity go with the link that Saudade gave. Only problem is is that if there's rust there then there's rust elsewhere and you might be able to see it and you might not. The easiest way to check for rust on the under carriage is if you're going to be doing interior work on the jeep then pull the carpet completely out and see if there's any rust evident from the inside of the jeep. Hopefully you'll get lucky and have minimal rust on that rocker panel and nowhere else.

Add your comment to this topic!