Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

is my a/c condenser squeeking?

maltesesteeze
02-19-2006, 07:19 PM
I have a 98 cherokee. I thought my belt was squeeking but i replaced it and thats not it. It sounds like its coming from the ac condenser. Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a bunch

xj31
02-19-2006, 07:56 PM
I think you mean the compressor,and it is possible

Saudade
02-19-2006, 11:00 PM
Does it squeek all the time or only with the a/c on?

Assuming XJ31 is right and you meant the compressor, then it could be the source. First, make sure your belt is correctly tensioned. Being new, it will loosen up a bit after a few hours running so you should recheck it and adjust as needed.

Your compressor clutch could be going bad. You could try carefully spraying some WD40 (or some other light oil) into the clutch and see if it stops. Try not to get any on the belt itself.

maltesesteeze
02-20-2006, 03:46 AM
Thanks guys, yeah I meant compressor, sorry. Im sure its not the belt, i have re-checked the tension twice, 1st time it needed it, chacked it again today and it was fine. Wheres the compressor clutch? Im not a total idiot but i know nothing about a/c's. Thanks for the help and keep it up!

Ray H
02-20-2006, 11:10 AM
Thanks guys, yeah I meant compressor, sorry. Im sure its not the belt, i have re-checked the tension twice, 1st time it needed it, chacked it again today and it was fine. Wheres the compressor clutch? Im not a total idiot but i know nothing about a/c's. Thanks for the help and keep it up!

The compressor clutch is on the front of the compressor, its one in the same with the compressor pulley.

Add your comment to this topic!