Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

prob#2 high revving s-10

babuhr
02-15-2006, 11:34 PM
I've been dealing with this for over a year. 97 s-10 (4.3, 4wd, 5spd) always wants to keep revving. When I put it in neutral and coast, the rpms rise. When in gear, it powers itself down the road even when I'm off the gas. The part that really gets me, is that it will keep revving in neutral until the vehicle comes to a COMPLETE STOP. Then, it drops to a nice idle within 2-3 seconds. I don't understand what the momentum of the vehicle has to with the revving of the engine when its in neutral.? I replaced the IAC valve (and set the pintle) and tried to clean up everything I could. It seemed to be better for only a little while. Faulty new part? Is the IAC getting "gummed up" quickly because of something else? I love this pickup otherwise, but this issue kinda makes it suck to drive... Thanks

brandon200317
02-16-2006, 11:33 AM
I've been dealing with this for over a year. 97 s-10 (4.3, 4wd, 5spd) always wants to keep revving. When I put it in neutral and coast, the rpms rise. When in gear, it powers itself down the road even when I'm off the gas. The part that really gets me, is that it will keep revving in neutral until the vehicle comes to a COMPLETE STOP. Then, it drops to a nice idle within 2-3 seconds. I don't understand what the momentum of the vehicle has to with the revving of the engine when its in neutral.? I replaced the IAC valve (and set the pintle) and tried to clean up everything I could. It seemed to be better for only a little while. Faulty new part? Is the IAC getting "gummed up" quickly because of something else? I love this pickup otherwise, but this issue kinda makes it suck to drive... Thanks

Ya i have the same problem everyonce in a while, good question. (96 sonoma sls, 4.3 x type, manual 2wd)

Cam1959
02-17-2006, 01:40 PM
Not likely problem fix here but i'd check for vacuum leaks in all vac lines and diaframs under hood and under dash and adjust throttle lever idle stop if possible.

hobbydrummer
07-26-2015, 06:10 AM
I found a crack in the elbow shaped boot for the pcv valve. I think its common cause a bunch at the junk yard were broke too. My high idling problem got better but came back again. Still trying to figure mine out here too.

Add your comment to this topic!