Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Pioneer Radio Wire Installation Question???

toicy4ya
02-14-2006, 08:41 AM
Sup guys,

I have a Pioneer Head Unit (model#DEH-P8600MP), upon reading the installation manual I read some conflicting information. The Manual reads, "When an external amp is being used be sure not to connect the blue/white lead to the amp's power terminal. Likewise, do not connect the blue/white lead to the power terminal of the auto-antenna. Such connection could cause excessive current drain and malfunction." However, the diagram to the left of it clearly show's the Blue/White lead connected to it and reads "to system control terminal of the power amp or auto antenna relay control terminal." Which is it? I'm confused?

Additionally, I'm a little confused on the yellow and red wire from the radio. My car has a "ACC Position" which wire should I connect, the Red (which reads to electric terminal controlled by ignition switch (12V DC) On/Off) or the yellow (To terminal always supplied with power regardless of ignition switch position)? Or do I connect them both? I noticed my brand new battery has been draining a little bit and I have a sneaky suspicion this might be the cause. Please get back to me.

Thanks

gthompson97
02-14-2006, 08:51 AM
The "ACC" is your accessory position, it only has power when the key is turned on. I don't know if you're aware, but the Eclipse has a different style of wiring. All the wires are different than the US colors.

gthompson97
02-14-2006, 08:55 AM
And in your first paragraph, I believe it means do not connect the blue wire to the 12v source on the amp, connect it to the Remote Lead Turn-on.

gthompson97
02-14-2006, 08:58 AM
Here's the Mitusbishi wire colors compared to those used today.

http://www.installdr.com/Harnesses/Mitsubishi-Wiring.pdf

Damn I need to stop post whoring. :)

l_eclipse_l
02-14-2006, 09:15 AM
Did you buy the adapter that color-codes the wires for you so you don't have to guess at what is what? It should be very simple if you did. Just hook up all the wires that come off the adapter to the head unit. Then plug in the antenna and put everything back together, and your good to go.

gthompson97
02-14-2006, 09:32 AM
Did you buy the adapter that color-codes the wires for you so you don't have to guess at what is what? It should be very simple if you did. Just hook up all the wires that come off the adapter to the head unit. Then plug in the antenna and put everything back together, and your good to go.

The car harness uses different color wires than the standard wire colors used nowadays. For example, Mitsubishi 12v battery is yellow (normally red) and there is no physical ground wire, it grounds through the metal brackets to hold the radio on, and the speaker wire colors are all f'd up.

toicy4ya
02-14-2006, 09:42 AM

Actually keep doing so gthompson your very helpful. I did purchase and connect the wires via a harness and I was very careful in making the connections. However I have a question for you in reference to the harness wire guide, if you compare the "L" Pin in the first diagram it says "Power Antenna Turn On - Blue" on the second diagram it says "Do not use". Now my year car is a 99 so which would it be?

Additionally, From the diagrams am I safe to assume that I connect both the red and the yellow wire?

gthompson97
02-14-2006, 10:14 AM
Either one of those should work, C or L. Try one and if it doesn't work, try the other. I'd suggest trying C first though.

On your radio, I believe yellow is ignition and red is battery 12v, right? If so, you should connect the red on your radio to the yellow coming from the car, and the yellow on your radio to the blue coming from the car. And then connect the speaker wires in the "Mitsubishi" column in the diagram to the correct ones on your radio, don't go by color though, go by speaker (+/-).

toicy4ya
02-14-2006, 11:30 AM
Either one of those should work, C or L. Try one and if it doesn't work, try the other. I'd suggest trying C first though.

On your radio, I believe yellow is ignition and red is battery 12v, right? If so, you should connect the red on your radio to the yellow coming from the car, and the yellow on your radio to the blue coming from the car. And then connect the speaker wires in the "Mitsubishi" column in the diagram to the correct ones on your radio, don't go by color though, go by speaker (+/-).

Kool, what about the amp? Do I connect the blue/white wire from the radio to both the antenna and the amp lead?

gthompson97
02-14-2006, 11:40 AM
Yeah, that should work.

l_eclipse_l
02-14-2006, 01:18 PM
The car harness uses different color wires than the standard wire colors used nowadays. For example, Mitsubishi 12v battery is yellow (normally red) and there is no physical ground wire, it grounds through the metal brackets to hold the radio on, and the speaker wire colors are all f'd up.

The adapter worked for me. :dunno:

gthompson97
02-14-2006, 02:26 PM
The adapter worked for me. :dunno:

I know, but I don't think he has the adapter. I know when I got my first eclipse, the radio had been stolen so there was no "stock plug", it was all just bare wire ends, so I got the pleasure of trying to figured out what was what by trial and error, soon to find a diagram explaining the wire colors a couple days later. Still pisses me off to this day. :banghead:

toicy4ya
02-14-2006, 03:23 PM
I know, but I don't think he has the adapter. I know when I got my first eclipse, the radio had been stolen so there was no "stock plug", it was all just bare wire ends, so I got the pleasure of trying to figured out what was what by trial and error, soon to find a diagram explaining the wire colors a couple days later. Still pisses me off to this day. :banghead:

Do you mean Wire harness? I did install it via a harness but wanted to confirm the connections.

gthompson97
02-14-2006, 03:30 PM
I thought you were in the same boat I was, I had the harness to plug into the CD player, but the other end of the harness was just open wire which I had to splice into the stock wire because I didn't have the stock radio plug. The previous owner must have cut it and put in his own so I had to splice in my harness to make it work, either way it sounds like you got it.

toicy4ya
02-14-2006, 03:50 PM
I thought you were in the same boat I was, I had the harness to plug into the CD player, but the other end of the harness was just open wire which I had to splice into the stock wire because I didn't have the stock radio plug. The previous owner must have cut it and put in his own so I had to splice in my harness to make it work, either way it sounds like you got it.

yea I got it for the most part but I got a sneaky suspicion that one of my wires is incorrect and is draining voltage from my battery. That why when I read, "do not connect the blue/white lead to the power terminal of the auto-antenna. Such connection could cause excessive current drain and malfunction." from the installation manual it kinda caught my eye.

Plus I wanted to confirm whether I was suppose to connect the blue/white wire to both the auto antenna and the amp lead?

gthompson97
02-14-2006, 04:01 PM
I would connect the blue/white wire to the remote turn on on the amplifier. You can connect the antenna power to any 12v ignition power source.

xavier3jr
02-14-2006, 04:20 PM

that link dont work for me u think u can post another one? i need to know whitch wires are me left back and right front lol

gthompson97
02-14-2006, 04:38 PM
Edit: Here's another good link. http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/detail.asp?info=alarm&year=1995-96&make=Mitsubishi&model=Eclipse&ID=18458&type=Stereo Let me know if you have any problems with this one.

Edit of the Edit: I deleted my conversion on the other link, it was too confusing, just go by this one.

Tooicy4u, this link might be more help to you too.

xavier3jr
02-14-2006, 04:46 PM
thanks alot man its been killing me with 4 tweets and only 1 mid speaker lol

gthompson97
02-14-2006, 04:48 PM
thanks alot man its been killing me with 4 tweets and only 1 mid speaker lol

No problem. :thumbsup:

xavier3jr
02-14-2006, 04:53 PM
i know the fronts on the radieo are grey-white and the back is green-pruple but whitch is front left-right and back left-right

gthompson97
02-14-2006, 04:55 PM
Front Right
(+) Black w/White stripe
(-) Black

Front Left
(+) Black w/White stripe
(-) Black

Back Left
(+) Yellow w/Blue stripe
(-) Gray w/Blue stripe

Back Right
(+)Yellow w/Red stripe
(-)Grey w/Red stripe

xavier3jr
02-14-2006, 05:26 PM
well there all 6 hooked up now :-D thanks alot gthompson

nova1313
02-14-2006, 09:51 PM
Lesson one: Purchase your stereo from crutchfield.com

I have no realation to them they just own.

Couple reasons:
1) decent prices
2) they give you all harnesses included for the price
3) they give you a sheet that they made thats specific to your car down to the very last detail.
4) if you still cant' install it call them and they will walk you through any problem you have.

I just bought my alpine 2851 from them (second head unit I got from there), came with the mounting kit, speaker harness thing, and then the connector for the stereo to the car. Plus instructions walking me through the install.

Nicest kit I ever have gotten. I bought my varad undercar light kit from there also. Same excellent service. Love them. Plus lots of coupons online to make it an even sweeter deal.

l_eclipse_l
02-14-2006, 10:06 PM
Lesson one: Purchase your stereo from crutchfield.com

Couple reasons:
1) decent prices

:screwy:

They are the most expensive place to buy anything. Yeah sure maybe they have an awesome kit, but your paying for it. The prices are anything but decent, they are inflated to cover the cost of that kit and their customer service. If you know what your doing, save yourself the money and buy somewhere cheaper.

xavier3jr
02-15-2006, 03:06 AM
ehh there is always cheeper place to get stuff just gota know where to look

nova1313
02-15-2006, 06:41 AM
im not sure about low end equipment prices. My first stereo was a 500 dollar stereo in store. My employee discount at best buy at the time (10% over best buy's cost) brought it to 310 Plus I had to get parts to install the kit then (cheap on discount but still) crutchfield shipped this direct to my house for 320.

With the new one I paid about 70 less after all the coupons then anywhere I was finding online (outside of ebay).

So in those two cases it may have been.. I'm not sure about other stuff both things I bought were alpine head units and the undercar lighting kit was priced about the same as everywhere else i saw that sold varad kits.

dykepepsi
09-06-2006, 06:56 AM

Can I ask where you aquired the diagram for the wire colors?. The original owner of my 96 eclipse GS took it upon himself to cut the connector off the factory wire harness and I now have to figure out what cables are for what, Ive never seen so many color combos in my life. feel free to email to; ibranly@gmail.com, Thanks.

gthompson97
09-09-2006, 03:10 PM
http://installdr.com/Harnesses/Mitsubishi-Wiring.pdf

Add your comment to this topic!