Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Door won't open - wind whipped door back

Velvet's Fire
02-08-2006, 02:45 PM
Hi All

I have a 2003 Sunfire GT that has the heaviest freaking doors out there I swear :grinyes: Anyhoo, I opened the door yesterday and the wind caught it (It was a REALLY strong wind) and it whipped the door open all the way and beyond, i heard it screech! I was also parked on a hill facing down so add gravity to that and you get the picture.

So now I can't open my door...well i can, but I have to lift the handle..put my fingers in the groove between the top of the door and the roof (as the handle will open it a crack) and reef it open. Um, what did I do to my baby? What can I check before I take it in to the Dealer where I'll pay out huge $$ to get it fixed/looked at? Note: It closes fine, but even when i do get it open, via the prying, it makes a loud creaking noise at the joint.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Velvet

BlasZ24
02-08-2006, 10:21 PM
My best guess would be to check the hinges it could have wrecked on or both, and it could have thrown your door out of alignment. Fixing that is not fun I tried changing a hinge once I never did get that door to line up quite right.

Velvet's Fire
02-09-2006, 09:46 AM
My best guess would be to check the hinges it could have wrecked on or both, and it could have thrown your door out of alignment. Fixing that is not fun I tried changing a hinge once I never did get that door to line up quite right.

Thanks Blas, guess i should take it to my dealer and get it realigned :disappoin

movin2stereo
02-09-2006, 09:39 PM
Your door has been sprung.That is the term used when this happens.Your hinges and door and pillar could have all been damaged(bent)when this happened.

Velvet's Fire
02-10-2006, 07:20 AM
Your door has been sprung.That is the term used when this happens.Your hinges and door and pillar could have all been damaged(bent)when this happened.

Thanks Movin, Do you know if it's costly to get it repaired? Will I have to get parts replaced or can they be bent back?

muff34
02-10-2006, 11:10 AM
Thanks Movin, Do you know if it's costly to get it repaired? Will I have to get parts replaced or can they be bent back?Being that it is a 2003 I Think that I would be taking it to a REPUTABLE auto body repair shop and getting them to have a look. It can`t hurt to do that much and at least you`ll know what you`re up against as to repair costs. A quote would probably be free and nobody says that you have to get the work done there if you don`t like what they tell you. Just my :2cents:

movin2stereo
02-10-2006, 08:39 PM
Being that it is a 2003 I Think that I would be taking it to a REPUTABLE auto body repair shop and getting them to have a look. It can`t hurt to do that much and at least you`ll know what you`re up against as to repair costs. A quote would probably be free and nobody says that you have to get the work done there if you don`t like what they tell you. Just my :2cents:
Like he said take it to a shop.I have seen many a sprung door and the problem is usually the post and hinges being bent,which means the door needs to be removed from the car.

Murf0505
02-25-2017, 01:55 PM
the door needs to be removed and then what?

Add your comment to this topic!