Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Got the Subs, Need Help with Choosing the Amp

PoonMarm
02-08-2006, 04:36 AM
I just got 2 6" JL Audio subs (w3 300rms) with an enclosure from a friend of mine, and so earlier today I went to look for an amp for them at Bestbuy and also Circuit City thinking i would spend like $250 at the most, but the guys i talked to recommended to me that i should get hella expensive amps (over $350) in order to get full power. I have enough money and everything but i was just wondering, how much of a difference would it make if i got an amp that was a little less powerful? Or would it be worth it to go with the expensive one?

Also, what do you guys think about the 6'' JL Audios? They sounded really good in my friends car, but Ive never really been in a car with a good sound system other than his so i don't have anything to compare it with.

Thanks

PoonMarm

ngsm13
02-08-2006, 12:42 PM
I just got 2 6" JL Audio subs (w3 300rms) with an enclosure from a friend of mine, and so earlier today I went to look for an amp for them at Bestbuy and also Circuit City thinking i would spend like $250 at the most, but the guys i talked to recommended to me that i should get hella expensive amps (over $350) in order to get full power. I have enough money and everything but i was just wondering, how much of a difference would it make if i got an amp that was a little less powerful? Or would it be worth it to go with the expensive one?

Also, what do you guys think about the 6'' JL Audios? They sounded really good in my friends car, but Ive never really been in a car with a good sound system other than his so i don't have anything to compare it with.

Thanks

PoonMarm

What impedance are they.

I recommend getting an amp that matches the rms power you needed at the needed impedance.

I also recommend buying NEW from and Ebay Store, saves a lot of money over retail. ;)

NG

PaulD
02-09-2006, 12:14 AM
6" subs ? most companies minimum size is 8 or 10" for a sub

dave92cherokee
02-09-2006, 10:17 AM
If it's truly 6" subs from jl then it's the 6w0 which is either a 4 or 8 ohm single voice coil. They peak out at about 100w each so get an amy that is 2 channels and pushes 75w rms to each channel. Just curious but how much did you pay for those two speakers from your friend? If you are looking for an amp for them go to onlinecarstereo.com and look at the 2 channel amps and you can pick up the Boss Audio C250 amp for about $80. Personally if they really are the 6" w0's from jl I recommend you get rid of them and the box that your friend sold you and go buy some real speakers as most cars have bigger speakers in the doors and rear deck.

CBFryman
02-09-2006, 04:30 PM
Tang Bang 6.5's are subs, or can work as subs...better as midbasses in a 3way set up ive heard though.

Anyway. What ngsm13 said :)

PoonMarm
02-09-2006, 08:30 PM
I only paid $60 for them so they were pretty cheap, but i also measured them and they are 8" so i guess i was mistaken about the size sorry about that.
Im not sure on what impedance they are either. And i dont know how to find out. Maybe Jackomier (the guy i got them from) can tell me.

But i was thinking about getting like 1 12" sub and just using 1 amp for all three subs, or i was thinking about getting 2 12'' kenwood subs + enclosure (he sais Kenwood subs are really good but that might be because he is trying to sell them) from Jack for $120 and the amping them. What do you guys recommend?

PaulD
02-10-2006, 05:44 PM
are you into sound quality or just bass ?

PoonMarm
02-12-2006, 02:56 AM
Well i would normaly be in it for quality but my car is pretty loud so im going for bass right now.

PaulD
02-12-2006, 06:08 PM
bass = big speakers + lots of power

PoonMarm
02-12-2006, 06:23 PM
well, i could probably trade for 2 10' mtx Thunder 3000. would it be better to go with those instead?

sickcallawayc12
02-13-2006, 03:21 PM
I have kenwoods, they're all right, but there's better. MTX has sort of a weird loudness to my ears but that's just me. Get an infinity sub if you want loud.

Add your comment to this topic!