Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2004 Jetta GLI noises

mineret
02-06-2006, 11:14 AM
Hi..

Just bought a used 2004 Jetta GLI and have only driven it for a couple of days. (7k miles)

After about the 3rd day of driving, I started to hear the following (somewhat) strange noises and was curious if anyone else has heard the same thing.

1) While rolling forward or backwards with foot loosely on brakes, I get an occasional sqeeking of the brakes.

(I'm guessing that this may be due to rust on the calipers or pads or something due to the fact that the car sat on a lot for months.)

2) While in reverse (sometimes in forward), as I start rolling and giving it some gas, I start to hear a hollow hum/whistling noise that ends as soon as I speed up a bit.

3) While shifting from 3rd to 4th at about 60 mph, I sometimes hear a mild grinding noise that is very brief. It's fairly hard to hear, but I've heard it a few times now.

- Now, this is my first european car, so these noises may be common.

- I already scheduled an appointment with VW to have a look over everything and make sure there are no serious problems.

Any input on this is appreciated... Thanks

BMXBYKR
03-05-2006, 03:09 AM
I have the same exact car my brakes squeek really bad. Alot of people have told me to get up to like 60mph and slam on the brakes. Which will just cause me to have to buy new brakes. Some people have told me to put some WD-40 or some kind of lub on the brakes and calpiers.

FemaleVwTech
05-22-2006, 05:30 PM
Hi, I know exactly what noise you are talking about. My GLI maded the same noise. You need to go to the dealership and have them installed dampers on the rear brakes, that will help the noise alot. I installed them on my GLI and the noise when away. I still sometimes here a sqeek when I stop but that is the brake dust building up on the brake pads and rotors. So, all I do is clean my brakes and no more noise.

Gotian
05-23-2006, 02:02 PM
that humming noise, if it sounds like it comes from near your pedals is your limited slip at work, the whistling sound is your turbo so you need to relax on the gas. That grinding noise is not good, that means you are not shifting properly and you need to practice more cause you are grinding the gears. If thats not the case then you need to put gear oil cause you are low.

Add your comment to this topic!