Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

turbo whistle

2141pete
01-28-2006, 05:28 PM
this may be a stupid question ,but my 05 srt4 is all stock and I was wondering what I would need to do to get the turbo to whistle through the exhaust. Here is a link to the sound I'm lookin for

http://www.modernperformance.com/dcx/mpx_3inch_exhaust.shtml

Is this possible with no mods besides exhaust,and the 700 bucks for this particular system?

TEXSRT4
01-28-2006, 09:06 PM
a full 3" exhaust system will get you the cool whistle when you accelarate. tis because you can hear the turbo spin up through an open setup. but any free flowing exhaust will do it as well! i know mine does, and it is a custom setup

2141pete
01-28-2006, 09:44 PM
should I go with a whole new three inch exhaust or just change my stock exhaust a little? also with a custom job how do you know if your helping or hurting? I really like the sound of that one on the link but definetley dont want to spend that much on an exhaust setup

TEXSRT4
01-30-2006, 10:48 PM
when it comes to srt exhaust, the only way to hurt it is to put smaller piping than stock on the car. go with a 3" system the whole way back. use a 12" resonator if you want it LOUD, an 18" if you want it just a tad louder than stock, a 24" if you want it about stock volume (it will be just a hair quieter), or a 30" if you want it quiet. at this point, i promise you will gain power

Turbodog97
01-31-2006, 12:40 AM
this may be a stupid question ,but my 05 srt4 is all stock and I was wondering what I would need to do to get the turbo to whistle through the exhaust. Here is a link to the sound I'm lookin for

http://www.modernperformance.com/dcx/mpx_3inch_exhaust.shtml

Is this possible with no mods besides exhaust,and the 700 bucks for this particular system?

A downpipe will make the turbo louder. The needswing w/exhaust cutout would be a good choice. But with a downpipe on the stock exhaust around 3k rpms makes an annoying pitch.

2141pete
01-31-2006, 07:49 PM
thanks for the help. I just want my car to sound good and stay away from that annoying fart pipe sound I hear on all these civics and stuff,A different size resinator wont make it annoying will it? Also one more question,the state I'm living in (NC) just started doing emission testing how do you run a catless down pipe and pass?

TEXSRT4
01-31-2006, 09:39 PM
you dont run a catless downpipe and pass. you will need a cat. second, you car will not sound like a civic, you have significantly more displacement and a turbo. a resonator is just going to quiet down teh exhaust noise. and no, a 3" with resonator will make it LESS buzzy than the stock setup

TEXSRT4
01-31-2006, 09:40 PM
here is a short crappy video of my exhaust system, just so you can see what i mean

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wOTE3MjgxNnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D

Turbodog97
02-01-2006, 03:59 PM
you dont run a catless downpipe and pass. you will need a cat. second, you car will not sound like a civic, you have significantly more displacement and a turbo. a resonator is just going to quiet down teh exhaust noise. and no, a 3" with resonator will make it LESS buzzy than the stock setup

If you are worried about passing just find someone you can pay to pass you. From the people I've talked to and from the personal experience I've had with mine is that a 3" downpipe(catless) running to the factory exhaust sounds like a honda around 3k rpms while driving. Not exactly like a honda but it has the loud annoying sound, not the deep throaty sound. Once the exhaust system was put on though it sounds really nice again.

Hey texsrt4, I didn't know that was you with that video. You came on srtforums a while back and posted it right? Sounds really nice, almost made me want to go with some crane cams until I found out you had to do the valve springs and etc. too:frown:

TEXSRT4
02-01-2006, 06:48 PM
im not running any upgraded valvetrain components. all stock except for the cams. i dont know about the honda sound, it has nothing to do with the cat, that will just make it louder, it has to do with the resonator/muffler you are using

2141pete
02-01-2006, 08:52 PM
I was just wondering about passing with the catless downpipe b/c they only check emissions through diagnostics not the actual exhaust from what I hear,and I saw a little box thing on ebay to replace your rear 02 censor and tell the computer the emissions system is fine would that work if that is the way they test?thanks for all the help.My player wont play the video but when I get it to down load I'll see it It's gotta sound good.

TEXSRT4
02-01-2006, 11:10 PM
stage 1 also will get rid of that light. you just better be sure that they dont put a sniffer in the pipe, or look under the car. it seems odd that they wouldnt, just because you can cheat the system so easily

2141pete
02-03-2006, 12:49 PM
That's just hearsay I havent checked yet but it would be nice,I have a buddy with a newer mach 1 mustang with no cats and he says he has the little box and they passed him so I guess all I can do is try

Add your comment to this topic!