Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Water pump replacement

beattyjmbtty
01-28-2006, 12:56 PM
Would like to know what is involve in replacing a water pump on a 1993 geo storm?

cheesep
01-28-2006, 11:07 PM
You should get a Haynes Manual if you are serious about doing this. To get at the water pump you have to remove your drive belts, idler pulley, a motor mount, crankshaft pulley, the timing belt covers and timing belt. After you replace the water pump you will have to line up the timing marks, install (I suggest a new) timing belt and tension it, put everything else back together and then time the engine.

You don't say if its a SOHC or DOHC but here's a link to give you an idea of what you are in for.

http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?ForwardPage=/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/20/ba/13/0900823d8020ba13.jsp

btw, is your water pump leaking? or why are you replacing it?

beattyjmbtty
01-29-2006, 09:33 AM
You should get a Haynes Manual if you are serious about doing this. To get at the water pump you have to remove your drive belts, idler pulley, a motor mount, crankshaft pulley, the timing belt covers and timing belt. After you replace the water pump you will have to line up the timing marks, install (I suggest a new) timing belt and tension it, put everything else back together and then time the engine.

You don't say if its a SOHC or DOHC but here's a link to give you an idea of what you are in for.

http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?ForwardPage=/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/20/ba/13/0900823d8020ba13.jsp

btw, is your water pump leaking? or why are you replacing it?=beattyjmbtty the water pump is leaking don't know about SOHC or DOHC put I did buy a repair manual for Geo storm. Thanks for the reply back.

cheesep
01-29-2006, 09:42 PM
Here are a couple more sites really into Isuzu/Storm/Asuna

www.isuzone.org and www.stormowners.com

Light Storms
02-26-2006, 11:22 PM
sohc is not an interference so dont be a wimp but if your not confident take it to a local shop adn if the suggest a new timing belt, coolant flush adn thermostat thats cool but just say no to a new oil pump unless there is a viable reason they rarely go bad and rarely leak

Add your comment to this topic!