Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Mondeo Zetec Poor Performance 1998

kiwiford
01-15-2006, 01:36 PM
I have a just bought a Ford Mondeo 1998 with the 2 litre Zetec DOHC engine. Its down on performance - I have replaced Mass Airflow Sensor - no effect. The engine starts well and seemingly runs well but its just like someone put a 1200cc engine in!! Its a low mileage engine, compressions etc all good - no missing. Dealer has checked for OBD II codes - nothing showing. Any ideas??

pre98zetec
01-15-2006, 05:07 PM
VCT solenoid?

of course that would show a CEL..

dunno what to tell you, is it Auto? these cars aren't exactly fast, remotely quick yes..

kiwiford
01-15-2006, 06:16 PM
Looks like it is pre- VCT as I see an EGR valve installed... Couple of photos attached might help confirm that.

I've thought timing - maybe the toothed belt was installed incorrectly - but it runs well in every other respect.

There are 2 other symptoms I have had. Initially the car ran cool - I replaced the thermostat - no major change - although from time to time the temperature was erratic - sometimes cool, other times it would come up into the normal range no problem. I replaced the engine coolant temperature sensor. I think the temperature issue is now resolved.

The other symptom I have is that occasionally it has a rough idle. any other ideas? Thanks
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/C:\Documents and Settings\Malcolm\My Documents\My Pictures\zetec engine\135_3532x.jpg
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/C:\Documents and Settings\Malcolm\My Documents\My Pictures\zetec engine\135_3533x.jpg

pre98zetec
01-15-2006, 08:56 PM
yup i forgot mondeos that were 98 had pre 98 US zetec in them

rough idle, changed my plugs, wires and coil pack and it smoothed it out really good.. you could prolly get away with just plugs and wires..

maybe cat. convertors clogged?

kiwiford
01-18-2006, 04:00 AM
Thanks for that - I think the clogged cat suggestion has promise. Can the cat be removed altogether and just replaced with a conventional muffler? - if so what do you do with the Oxy sensors berore & after the cat (or should I start a new thread on this?) Cheers

pre98zetec
01-18-2006, 05:43 AM
you should be able to run a MIL eliminator on the second o2 censor so it won't screw with it, but I'm not 100% sure on it.. look around on www.contour.org in the forums section and I'm sure you'll find a definitive awnser.

Add your comment to this topic!