Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Explorer Transmittion Exchange

oldman69
06-13-2002, 07:03 AM
Just had the transmission replaced in my 2000 Explorer Limited. While they were at it, they also discovered that my rear brakes were in need of replacement as well as the alternator. Soon as I drive the thing off, my wife notices a noise from the engine compartment (I'm hard of hearing and don't hear it) Everybody who rides in my car hears it and I finally take it back in to the dealership. They tell me the exhaust manifold is warpped and there is a gasket problem. My question is this:

Did they have to disconnect the exhaust in order to drop the transmission? If so, it's their problem and I'll follow up.

Thanks

DVSNCYNIKL
06-13-2002, 07:55 AM
They probably had to disconnect the exhaust to take out the tranny. Chances are that the tranny could not clear the opening unless this was done. If so, they probably disconnected it from the catalytic converter or from the headers. I can't really go beyond that.

The way to take out the tranny is by lifting the truck on a lift, disassemble the exhaust, then tranny. Then lower the tranny to work on it. This is what I've seen done as I've had to have a few rebuilt transmissions.

rrdstarr
06-13-2002, 08:05 AM
Why is this in the Xterra forum?:mad: :mad: :mad:

DVSNCYNIKL
06-13-2002, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by rrdstarr
Why is this in the Xterra forum?:mad: :mad: :mad:

Ooops! Sorry guys, didn't notice this when I responded. I'll move it now.:D

Add your comment to this topic!