Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

I'm Catholic and I'm upset

Muscletang
01-03-2006, 07:43 PM
"South Park" Parked by Complaints (http://news.yahoo.com/s/eo/20060103/en_tv_eo/18055)

Did Comedy Central grant the Catholic League its Christmas wish?

Following the Dec. 7 season finale of South Park, titled "Bloody Mary," the Catholic League for Religious and Civil Rights slammed the network for its irreverent portrayal of church icons and sought to block the episode from being rebroadcast.

It appears the group may have met with success. A repeat of the finale was scheduled to air Wednesday night, but was pulled from the Comedy Central lineup without explanation.

In the episode, a statue of the Virgin Mary is believed to be bleeding from its rear end, inspiring faithful parishioners to flock from miles around to be healed by the miraculous blood.

Eventually, Pope Benedict XVI is called in to investigate, whereupon he determines that the statue is actually menstruating and thus is nothing special.

"A chick bleeding out her vagina is no miracle," the pope declares in the episode. "Chicks bleed out their vaginas all the time."

Somewhat predictably, the Catholic League was incensed by the satirical portrayal of the Virgin Mary and the pope and by the fact that the episode aired on the day before the Catholic Church celebrated its Feast of the Immaculate Conception.

The conservative group demanded an apology from Viacom, Comedy Central's parent company, to Roman Catholics everywhere and "a pledge that this episode be permanently retired and not be made available on DVD."

The Catholic League also sought a personal condemnation from Viacom board member Joseph A. Califano Jr., who the group noted is a "practicing Catholic."

Califano was only too happy to oblige. After viewing the episode, he released a statement calling the episode an "appalling and disgusting portrayal of the Virgin Mary."

"It is particularly troubling to me as a Roman Catholic that the segment has run on the eve and day of the Feast of the Immaculate Conception, a holy day for Roman Catholics," Califano said.

Califano also pledged to have Viacom president and CEO Tom Freston review the episode.

Comedy Central did not respond to a request for comment on why "Bloody Mary" was yanked from the schedule.

Screencaps of the episode were no longer available on Comedy Central's press site or on comedycentral.com's South Park section.

The Catholic League previously tangled with Comedy Central in 2002 over a South Park episode titled "Red Hot Catholic Love," but failed to produce any results.

stoned_pimp420
01-03-2006, 07:59 PM
Please don't get pissed off at me or anything but just let the T.V. stations have their fun and I'm rather sure they will leave you alone while you have yours.

Just my thoughts!!!

jswillmon
01-03-2006, 08:51 PM
If everyone that south park made fun of got all pissed off and took it seriously there would be no episodes on the air. They have taken shots at homosexuals, African-Americans, the Jewish, and many other groups that were 3 times as offensive as that episode. It's all in good fun, they take it too far and make fun of everybody, that's why it is soo funny.
South park = the funniest show ever

Partizan
01-03-2006, 08:55 PM
I bet if it was about some eastern religion it would have been acceptable by the catholics. Relax it's a show, they make fun of everyone and it's funny. They've made fun of other religions and noone went insane and demanded apologizes from all involved.

Moppie
01-03-2006, 09:42 PM
HAHA!

The church can go bleed on itself.
I want more South Park!

vinnym86
01-03-2006, 10:45 PM
my bit: if you don't like it, flip the channel...
...buncha prudes.

GForce957
01-03-2006, 10:45 PM
Im Catholic and im not upset. Well i guess im upset that i missed this episode. Hiyo!

AlmostStock
01-04-2006, 12:30 AM
While I didn't actually see the episode, the plot doesn't seem all that offensive... or funny.

:dunno:

uranium235powered
01-04-2006, 12:44 AM
sometimes I think that people bitch too much.

SiGNAL748
01-04-2006, 01:04 AM
I'm Catholic and I could really give a shit; the TV rips against every race and religion out there. I mean seriously, it's gonna hit us Catholics sooner or later; might as well be now.

(Side Note: I think the new pope looks like the emperor from star wars.)

2strokebloke
01-04-2006, 01:18 AM
It's a just TV show. A really stupid show at that. Besides I didn't hear the Catholic Church speaking up when they made fun of just about everything else in the history of the show.

KustmAce
01-04-2006, 01:39 AM
jesuth chritht

[/mr. slave]

turtlecrxsi
01-04-2006, 08:26 AM
I'm Catholic and I could really give a shit; the TV rips against every race and religion out there. I mean seriously, it's gonna hit us Catholics sooner or later; might as well be now.

(Side Note: I think the new pope looks like the emperor from star wars.)

:iagree:

Shortbus
01-04-2006, 09:17 AM
I can't fathom the insecurity one must have to feel threatened by a cartoon.

-Josh-
01-04-2006, 10:15 AM
I can't fathom the insecurity one must have to feel threatened by a cartoon.

:1: X1000

Damien
01-04-2006, 11:40 AM
Ah! well, have you seen the pic of the new Pope made to look like the emperor?

ThatRoundHeadedKid
01-04-2006, 12:23 PM
Don't they also show a disclaimer notice prior to the show, like "All celebrities in this show are poorly portrayed and do not express the true opinions or actions of the real characters" or something of that nature? I mean c'mon, they even show that they don't truly mean to offend anyone that they make fun of...

dugie6551
01-04-2006, 12:56 PM
People really do need to lighten up.

They poke fun at everyone and so does Family Guy and alot of other shows. Hell, South Park poked fun at Canada once and you didn't see us getting upset.

Everyone needs to take these things as jokes and have a laugh because everything now adays is way too serious.

Shortbus
01-04-2006, 03:56 PM
The funny thing is the people bitching and complaining about it are the people who are obviously watching the program otherwise they would have no idea about. I routinely watch SP but I haven't seen this one yet. It airs once and every hollier than thou motherf****r has seen it but me and has already got it pulled. WTF

Gotti
01-04-2006, 03:59 PM
They've made fun of other religions and noone went insane and demanded apologizes from all involved.

what do you mean? They've been making fun of Jesus since the beginning of the show, catholics didnt care because it was funny and it wasnt going too far.

But a statue of Holy Mary bleeding out of her vagina.... thats just disrespectful and discusting

South Park is garbage now. They're catching eminem syndrome, they've run out of all the good jokes and now they're just trying to do shocking things to keep people watching. The proof is that show is one of the most unfunny ones they've made to date... they jus try to keep people watching with the shock factor

i'm not an uptight catholic, but it jus seems like they're running out of ideas

Shortbus
01-04-2006, 04:12 PM
what do you mean? They've been making fun of Jesus since the beginning of the show, catholics didnt care because it was funny and it wasnt going too far.

But a statue of Holy Mary bleeding out of her vagina.... thats just disrespectful and discusting

South Park is garbage now. They're catching eminem syndrome, they've run out of all the good jokes and now they're just trying to do shocking things to keep people watching. The proof is that show is one of the most unfunny ones they've made to date... they jus try to keep people watching with the shock factor

i'm not an uptight catholic, but it jus seems like they're running out of ideas

Women have been bleeding out of their vaginas ever since the beginning its natural and nothing new, why can't their be a cartoon about it?

sv650s
01-04-2006, 04:24 PM
to me they're just doing the same stuff that other people are afraid to do, they're expressing their political views and exercising their free speech but they're just doing it in they're own way. so people should just chill out and learn to laugh.

thecackster
01-04-2006, 04:39 PM
Seriously, Gay pride didn't freak out and try to ban southpark, or blacks, or all the celebs, or asians, or ANY THING ELSE IN THE WORLD, becuase they basicly make fun of everything. I mean Damn, the church is acting like a spoiled little BITCH, that cant take getting picked on just a little.

Muscletang
01-04-2006, 04:46 PM
Ok here's what I think, the virgin Mary was bleeding from her vagina, pussy, cootch, slit, cunt, love glove, cooter, beaver, twat, snatch, pink taco, love canal, muff, roast beef curtains, catcher's mitt, love rug, tuna town, cockpit, poody tat, spasm chasm, Republic of Labia, Sausage Wallet, birth canal whatever.

You telling me if your hole had the son of God going through it you wouldn't gush a little bit of blood?

P.S. I'm not Catholic, just thought I'd get everybody's attention.

Moppie
01-04-2006, 05:17 PM
You telling me if your hole had the son of God going through it you wouldn't gush a little bit of blood?

Your a very sick little boy
:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Menstral flow is about is the ultimate symbol of a womens fertility.
Sounds just the sort of thing the Catholic church would want to have covered up.
God for bid that evil women should be fertile.

Gotti
01-04-2006, 06:34 PM
Seriously, Gay pride didn't freak out and try to ban southpark, or blacks, or all the celebs, or asians, or ANY THING ELSE IN THE WORLD, becuase they basicly make fun of everything. I mean Damn, the church is acting like a spoiled little BITCH, that cant take getting picked on just a little.

I guess you dont watch the show, cause if you did you'd know they've been making fun of christianity/catholics since the show began, just as much as everybody else they've made fun of and was the Catholic Church upset? nope. They didnt care just like all those people that you mentioned.

BUT showing the holy mary bleeding from her vagina is just completely distasteful and NOT FUNNY. Thats the point, this show was one of their LEAST FUNNY shows of all time. The only thing they were trying to get across was the shock factor

if they made fun of the holy mary in a funny way not a discusting way, nobody would care

Women have been bleeding out of their vaginas ever since the beginning its natural and nothing new, why can't their be a cartoon about it?

Sure... let them make fun of any woman having their period. Nobody would be offended because its a natural thing. Why do they have to use the Holy Mary Mother Of God? Thinking it'll be funny, but it wasnt.

Look i'm not some crazy religious catholic, even tho it seems like it since i'm the only one defending this. I guarentee i sin more than 95% of the people on AF. I've robbed people, i've bin to prison, i've sold almost every drug you can sell, but i still think there should be a little more respect shown towards religious icons like the Holy Mary. If they just showed the Holy Mary dancing the Macarena with Jesus doing the lambada, nobody would of cared, since Jesus is already a regular character on the show and the Catholic church doesnt complain about that. But showing her bleeding out her vagina for laughs was just stepping over the line in my opinion

Shortbus
01-04-2006, 06:45 PM
It's all good I respect your opinion Gotti, I just think people who are offended by it should just switch channels. Thats what I do when something on TV offends me. ( though I'm rarely offended, especially by american watered down programming) and not to mention I am paying for the damn cable channel anyway.

I just get sick of all the groups out there telling me how to act and what I can and cannot watch on tv. Its getting ridiculous.

chiefsmackahoe
01-04-2006, 11:55 PM
If you dont like something dont pay attention to it, no matter what you do THERE WILL ALWAYS BE SOMEONE OFFENDED BY IT!!!!!!!!!

TheStang00
01-05-2006, 12:35 AM
it wasnt the church itself that was complaining was it? wasnt it just a catholic group.

anyways, i agree with gotti. maybe except for the robbing and going to jail part :icon16: .

This country has always had a bias against catholics, i think some of them are just beginning to get fed up with it. for instance, who here knows that the statement declaring there must be a wall of seperation between church and state was brought about by a racist judge on the supreme court who was afraid catholics would take over the country. bet not many of you knew that one. and if any of you try to say catholics arent discriminated against in this country, you might need a reality check.

southpark does routinely make fun of all kinds of people and stereotypes them. which theyve done to my ancestors, i dont care though. however, this time it seems like they want to piss off catholics. i mean you cant put that on there and not expect someone to get pissed off. they are attacking the religion itself, not making fun of stereotypes, but attacking the religion itself. and dont think im some stuck up bastard either, family guy is one of my favorite shows on tv, when they had the episode with the irish history museum (im part irish) i laughed my ass off, but thats totally different than what southpark did here.

sganc4life_4
01-05-2006, 12:49 AM
People really do need to lighten up.

They poke fun at everyone and so does Family Guy and alot of other shows. Hell, South Park poked fun at Canada once and you didn't see us getting upset.

Everyone needs to take these things as jokes and have a laugh because everything now adays is way too serious.

Umm poked fun? They kind of made a movie about a war with canada lol. And if any of you watch George Carlin, this is somewhat related. Because he is a bad ass lol, but back onto topic...Like others have said, South Park makes fun of everyone, and thats why it is funny. I say those who are offended dont need to watch it.

03cavPA
01-05-2006, 06:31 AM
It's just a dumbass cartoon. Don't watch it. That way, it won't offend you.

ec437
01-05-2006, 08:59 AM
south park is reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarded and not funny at all.

Rally Sport
01-05-2006, 09:10 AM
I'm glad someone else noticed that too!!! :eek7: I have two comparison pictures at home on my PC that I'll try to post later. :)

Yeah, its noticable, the new pope looks evil IMO, and also here's the pic you're talking about..

http://www.jpatrickm.com/archives/pope_emperor.jpg

quteasabutton
01-05-2006, 12:40 PM
i think southpark is crude and not funny, so i don't watch it. problem solved. i don't see how everyone else is so dumb that they can't just get over it. they should be happy about the free publicity about christianity. they didn't say anything when southpark was making fun of gays or denouncing other religions, but the second something is said about them, they have a fit. get. over. it.

TheStang00
01-05-2006, 01:57 PM
i think southpark is crude and not funny, so i don't watch it. problem solved. i don't see how everyone else is so dumb that they can't just get over it. they should be happy about the free publicity about christianity. they didn't say anything when southpark was making fun of gays or denouncing other religions, but the second something is said about them, they have a fit. get. over. it.

southpark makes fun of christians all the time, usually they dont say anything so what you said isnt entirely true.

but for me atleast, i expect southpark to do this kind of thing, so i dont really care when they do. it doesnt surprise me that someone got pissed about this though.

alfonso2501
01-05-2006, 09:08 PM
I think it’s disgusting when companies bow down to special interest groups like that. I’m catholic as well but I wasn’t insulted or anything. I remember Ford lost it’s balls a about a month ago because some special interest group got all pissy because it was advertising it’s cars in some gay magazine causing it to stop advertising in it. If I was a CEO of some company I’d tell them to F@#& off because I’ve got a company to run.

As for the Catholic League I think I have a pic of them some where….wait a minute….hold on….Ah! Here it is!

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b255/alfonso2501/protest.jpg

Shortbus
01-05-2006, 10:09 PM
/\ LOL thats my kinda protest right there.

speediva
01-08-2006, 09:35 AM
Okay, until I see the episode in question, I refuse to take a stand on whether or not it was "disgusting" or "vile".

That, and I don't feel like going on a Catholic rant today... it's Sunday... I'm going to rest like the bible says I should.

Moppie
01-08-2006, 02:49 PM
Yes Miss Tangi.

Heep
01-08-2006, 06:08 PM
Disgusting and not the slightest bit funny.

That said, nobody else complains when they're insulted on it, and the Catholics haven't complained about anyone else being insulted. They shouldn't even be watching the damn show.

However, the show should be pulled just because it's old and lame and useless. People need to turn off their TVs and go do something useful.

MagicRat
01-08-2006, 06:44 PM
^^like play on the Internet^^

pink taco, roast beef curtains, catcher's mitt, love rug, tuna town, cockpit, poody tat, spasm chasm, Republic of Labia, Sausage Wallet,

:rolleyes:
God as my witness, I have never heard of these particular euphamisms before
:lol2:

speediva
01-09-2006, 09:34 PM
^^like play on the Internet^^

:rolleyes:
God as my witness, I have never heard of these particular euphamisms before
:lol2:
You missed out on the BEST AF avatar EV@r!!!!

Sianus
01-11-2006, 08:18 PM
I think the only Christians that get offended are the OTT ones anyway. Most normal people would accept that some one finds it funny, and it want put there to personally piss them off. I however am as far away from Catholic as you can get...they would burn me at the stake if they had the chance! :evillol: :angryfire :newburn:

Shortbus
01-11-2006, 11:02 PM
You missed out on the BEST AF avatar EV@r!!!!

MMM tangie's pink taco...

Add your comment to this topic!