Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Don't hit vtech in the middle of a turn very scary

Datura99
01-03-2006, 11:13 AM
Was racing this guy the other night in my vtech prelude H22a model he had a pickup truck of some sort why he bothered I don't know. Anyways in the middle of a curve in 3rd gear the vtech kicked in and the car shot off and the steering went all crazy Scared the hell outta me almost flew into the truck luckily I kept my composure and caught immediate control of the car. Needless to say I won of course but I won't be vteching in a turn anymore lesson learned.

CivicSpoon
01-03-2006, 11:21 AM
It's vtec (no "h"). And it sounds to me like you need to learn to drive better, instead of blaming vtec. You definently shouldn't be street racing and risking other people's lives, if you don't know how to control your car.

Datura99
01-03-2006, 11:30 AM
It's vtec (no "h"). And it sounds to me like you need to learn to drive better, instead of blaming vtec. You definently shouldn't be street racing and risking other people's lives, if you don't know how to control your car.

Your right thats why I said i won't be doing it again. Till I learn to handle it its power. You did read the part when I said I won't be doing it again didn't you. Vtec vtech who gives a damn you know what the hell i mean anyways all i know is it boost like hell when it kicks in especially in 3rd gear on a turn and like I said thats my 1st time doing that and I had no idea it would happen. So stop acting all high and mighty I'm just giving a warning to any other amatures out there like myself. Like I said lesson learned and I'm not doing it again not worth the risk of losing my car.

knorwj
01-03-2006, 11:50 AM
hahaha dude vtec isn't some kinda warp drive, damn haha "I won't be driving again till I can handle its power" hahaha oh man, i'm sorry there zulu but your post was hilarious to me for some reason.

Sorry, that was for getting on civicspoon... haha anyway....

I know what you mean it does kick prety hard when you are not used to it, but once you get used to it you'll barely notice it. I'm assuming it kicks a bit harder in a lude because of the extra torque also? Not sure on that one but who knows. I can only assume that models where it kicks really hard could use an adjustment of the vtec activation point. I mean if it kicks hard that means it is a major spike in the dyno curve right? so usually that means the activation can be slightly lowered to smooth out the curve, and start building a little power sooner? If I didn't explain this right or if I'm way off the wall here i'm sure someone will let me know. I dunno I think I read that somewhere.

Schister66
01-03-2006, 12:01 PM
Vt@K iz da warp drive Yo..!!

LMFAO...this story cheered me up anyway.

Datura99
01-03-2006, 12:04 PM
hahaha dude vtec isn't some kinda warp drive, damn haha "I won't be driving again till I can handle its power" hahaha oh man, i'm sorry there zulu but your post was hilarious to me for some reason.

Sorry, that was for getting on civicspoon... haha anyway....

I know what you mean it does kick prety hard when you are not used to it, but once you get used to it you'll barely notice it. I'm assuming it kicks a bit harder in a lude because of the extra torque also? Not sure on that one but who knows. I can only assume that models where it kicks really hard could use an adjustment of the vtec activation point. I mean if it kicks hard that means it is a major spike in the dyno curve right? so usually that means the activation can be slightly lowered to smooth out the curve, and start building a little power sooner? If I didn't explain this right or if I'm way off the wall here i'm sure someone will let me know. I dunno I think I read that somewhere.

Your right its not a warp drive but when it happend i wasn't expecting it to kick in so wasn't mentally and physcally prepared for it. Plus I bought the car used and it came with mods don't know exactly everything that was done to it. it was some rich guy project car that he changed his mind about and got a BMW. He had just dropped a vtec (got it right this time spoon) engine in it with 80,000 miles on it and it ran reall smooth real quiet when idle so I bought it cash since I always wanted one. Plus Its my 1st manual car and I only had it for a few months. about half a year its just when it happend it to me by surpised and the wheel jerked on its own. my I hit a pot hole or my I need my suspension checked and tuned I just know it scared the Hell outta me and I'm give warning to anyone who hasn't experience it before. I mean sheesh this is the fastest car i ever owned. Which isn't really says much my 1st car was a 96 plymouth sundance duster model. my 2nd car was and 96 accord lx. And now I have this 93 prelude.

Ace$nyper
01-03-2006, 12:23 PM
So moral of the story is if you don't know how to drive don't race!

Vtec should never kick in hard you are right even on ITR/CTR where it comes over and you know it, it's still smooth on the dnyo.

still roflkakke to this.

Datura99
01-03-2006, 12:32 PM
So moral of the story is if you don't know how to drive don't race!

Vtec should never kick in hard you are right even on ITR/CTR where it comes over and you know it, it's still smooth on the dnyo.

still roflkakke to this.

Well it felt pretty hard to me maybe I just not used to it I don't know but I rearely ever drive the car that hard to use it half the time anyways. Let alone even race. this was about 3 weeks ago I haven't bothered racing anyone since then. Been challenged plenty of times though maybe some thing is wrong with my car. 1st and 2nd gear vtec your right donsent hit hard at all but i tried it in 3rd and 4th and there is a difference. Never bothered trying it out in 5th gear. Not sure i will until i feel comfortable again. Like I said it scared me when that wheel jumped the way it did in the turn so now I real cautious with it. I do have a question for the knowledge members here what is a good supension setup for my car. What do you guys suggest.

Gohan Ryu
01-03-2006, 02:27 PM
I had to de-tune my H22 because 190 is just too many horses for me! :grinno:

LOL before I fixed the suspension on my Lude the tires would break loose when VTEC hit in 2nd and 3rd gear. If it happened in the middle of a turn I'd end up in the next lane. That's because the struts were shot and the tires were bald, but it still gotta kick pretty damn hard to break 'em loose that way.

V T E C H
01-03-2006, 03:27 PM
i can see where this guy is comming from. The first time i hit the 6-8k range i was like holy crap, especially since my two cars before that where a Camry and a 4Runner.

dxasaurus
01-03-2006, 03:38 PM
Was racing this guy the other night in my vtech prelude H22a model he had a pickup truck of some sort why he bothered I don't know. Anyways in the middle of a curve in 3rd gear the vtech kicked in and the car shot off and the steering went all crazy Scared the hell outta me almost flew into the truck luckily I kept my composure and caught immediate control of the car. Needless to say I won of course but I won't be vteching in a turn anymore lesson learned.
Fortunately I don't have to worry about vtec kicking it.:(

This vtec you describe seems nothing like the vtec cars I've been in.>_<

iVteC_PoWeR
01-03-2006, 05:55 PM
you shouldnt be trying to "attack" those corners with fwd anyways...especially with the VTAK and all

RSX-S777
01-03-2006, 09:02 PM

It's called torque steer. Just keep both hands on the wheel and try not to kill someone. If you have to hit crossover in a turn, do us all a favor- try and make sure it's a fat chick in the lane next to you...

SiGNAL748
01-03-2006, 09:22 PM
too mad of a vtec for me.

TurboGSR96
01-07-2006, 10:47 PM
3 words.....Limited Slip Differential.....3 more words.....Learn how to drive.

SiGNAL748
01-07-2006, 11:24 PM
3 more words.....Learn how to drive.

That's 4 words you moron.

AltecZX2
01-09-2006, 06:40 AM
god i'd hate to see this guy drive a nice turbo car or something like a v8 in it he can barely handle a Honda LOL

nastyNater
01-09-2006, 08:39 AM
some hondas can be a handful, youd be surprised. i dunno bout a N/A 'lude though.

i cant even count how many times i crossed into vtec around a bend in my old gsr. never once did i lose traction an break em loose. i did have lsd however....dont really think that would make a big difference. seems to me like the limited slip would make it easier to lose traction in a hard turn if anything

L8R_H8R
01-09-2006, 10:26 PM
I can never handle my N/A nonvtec lude..... i hit non-vtec round turns all the time while listening to DangerZone...

BlackGT2000
01-10-2006, 01:28 PM
2 years ago my friend bought a 91 integra (I believe LS) and that thing was a handful around turns and shifting into second under acceleration (bad torque steer). We almost lost it a few times that way, and with the wide aftermarket tires it tracked every rut in the road. I never understood why it did that because his Civic never behaved in that way even with the same rim and tire setup.

hxgaser
01-10-2006, 04:22 PM
I think the honda engineers did induce torque steer on purpose. Even my hoopty 117 hp Civic has it. You know, at least it gives you a sense of speed even for a slow car like mine :grinyes:

L8R_H8R
01-10-2006, 08:50 PM
That's 4 words you moron.

ROFL :rofl:

KrNxRaCer00
01-16-2006, 03:15 AM
no more "vtech'ing" for you...

-Closed

Add your comment to this topic!