Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Mark VIII Oil leak & Coolant cap

amcm
12-31-2005, 12:07 PM
Has anyone had experience with an oil leak on the front drivers side of the engine? (Pretty vague huh?) If I top off the oil, the oil runs down the outside of the oil pan (fast) till the motor is about 1 quart low. This happens while the engine is running.
Also, I bought a flush & fill kit (prestone). This is supposed to be added to a heater hose. I'm not to bright (I guess) because I can't find the heater hoses. Do they run through the block?
I bought this kit because I cant open the coolant fill plug on the top front of the motor.
I think I should stick to sales! I'd appreciate any help

This is a 94 Lincoln Mark VIII with the 4.6 L.

Thanks

el lobo
01-01-2006, 09:17 AM
Your oil leak may be from the oil filter housing adapter gasket. It is located in the area you are seeing the leak. Tough to fix (hard to get to) and will result in major oil loss if not repaired. You will need to drain the coolant to repair as there are coolant ports in the adapter housing.

Don't know about the flush & fill. I had one of those long ago, but tend to have the procedure done now. I don't like having to deal with the proper disposal of the old coolant.

Crasen
01-01-2006, 04:52 PM
[QUOTE=amcm]Has anyone had experience with an oil leak on the front drivers side of the engine? (Pretty vague huh?) If I top off the oil, the oil runs down the outside of the oil pan (fast) till the motor is about 1 quart low. This happens while the engine is running.
Also, I bought a flush & fill kit (prestone). This is supposed to be added to a heater hose. I'm not to bright (I guess) because I can't find the heater hoses. Do they run through the block?
I bought this kit because I cant open the coolant fill plug on the top front of the motor.
I think I should stick to sales! I'd appreciate any help

It does sound like the oil filter adapter assembly gasket, it could also be a loose oil filter, or a leaking oil pressure sending unit. The heater hoses are at the rear of the engine on the passenger side. You remove the coolant fill plug using a 1/4 inch extension and a ratchet. If you can not get it to come out you need to use a longer ratchet to get more leverage, possibly use a 3/8 inch ratchet with a stepdown to a 1/4 inch

amcm
01-07-2006, 08:26 AM
Your oil leak may be from the oil filter housing adapter gasket. It is located in the area you are seeing the leak. Tough to fix (hard to get to) and will result in major oil loss if not repaired. You will need to drain the coolant to repair as there are coolant ports in the adapter housing.

Don't know about the flush & fill. I had one of those long ago, but tend to have the procedure done now. I don't like having to deal with the proper disposal of the old coolant.

Hey thanks, it was the oil filter housing adapter.
I had a little oil in my coolant recovery bottle (that's why I wanted to flush & fill). I think it also came from the housing problem. I appreciate your help.

el lobo
01-08-2006, 09:51 AM
Hey thanks, it was the oil filter housing adapter.
I had a little oil in my coolant recovery bottle (that's why I wanted to flush & fill). I think it also came from the housing problem. I appreciate your help.

Glad you were able to zero in on the issue. I had the same problem with my past 94. It would leak like crazy when cold then somewhat stop when warm. I guess the o-rings would swell when hot and shrink when cold. Makes a real mess.

RowRow
11-12-2008, 04:34 PM
Can anyone tell me how to remove the oil filter adapter so I can replace the gasket? Do I do it from the top or bottom of the car. It is really hard to get at these bolts. Also does anyone know the torque value of these bolts for reinstallation?

Add your comment to this topic!