Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

92 Classic Runs but no power- help

sschmerge
12-20-2005, 04:37 PM
I have a 92 Classic that I just bought about a month ago ran well when I first got it. A couple of weeks later on the interstate I went to power up off of a ramp and I had some engine lag- I changed out the plugs and wires which seemed to fix it for about five days. Now it is running worse than it was before I changed these items. Distributor is fine-

I have heard that the Air Flow Meters in these things cause this type of issue-

Any other places that you would start prior to Air Flow meter? Your help is greatly appreciated!

Semper Rover
01-03-2006, 02:26 PM
Mine did the same thing then it quit running all together. I poked around the fuel supply and ignition for a while until my buddy told me that the catalytic converters would produce the same symptoms. I was somewhat hesitant to pull my exhaust apart but when I did it ran fine.

Good luck
Mike

sschmerge
01-03-2006, 04:01 PM
Mike-
Thanks for the reply...I actually started a couple of weeks ago with the Air flow meter- I had heard that if it is grounded out, it will cause the engine to run to rich or lean... I pulled it off and made sure that there was no metal to metal contact and that the wire harness was clean and making good contact. After re-installing, the truck runs great and have not had any problems since. Thanks for your reply as problems with the catalytic converter may happen next...

Thanks again!

Scott

Mine did the same thing then it quit running all together. I poked around the fuel supply and ignition for a while until my buddy told me that the catalytic converters would produce the same symptoms. I was somewhat hesitant to pull my exhaust apart but when I did it ran fine.

Good luck
Mike

Add your comment to this topic!